This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Testing for vehicle rollover performance has proven to be a formidable challenge for the impact test engineer. Realism and repeatability have been difficult to define, let alone produce. Field accident data do not provide a “typical” rollover situation to imitate. Vehicle kinematics, vehicle damage, and occupant injuries cover a very wide spectrum. This paper will cover the history of rollover testing, the current rollover picture from field accidents, and GM's recent experience with a new rollover test method.
CitationWilson, R. and Gannon, R., "Rollover Testing," SAE Technical Paper 720495, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720495.
- Skeels P. C., “Automotive Safety at GM”, Automotive Industries, January 15, 1969, p. 62.
- Stonex K. A. and Skeels P. C., “Development of Crash Techniques at the General Motors Proving Ground”, Presented at 42nd Annual Meeting of the Highway Research Board, Washington, D. C., 1963.
- Koebnick W., Chrysler Proving Ground, Personal Communication, November, 1969.
- SAE Recommended Practice, Rollover Tests Without Collision - SAE 857a, SAE Handbook.
- SAE Recommended Practice, Inverted Vehicle Drop Test Procedure - SAE J966, SAE Handbook.
- Sieffert U. W., “Simulation of Rollover with a Dynamic Roof Crush Test”, Paper 720226 Presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January, 1972.
- SAE Recommended Practice, Passenger Car Roof Crush Test Procedure SAE J374, SAE Handbook.
- Tourin B., “Ejection and Automobile Fatalities”, Public Health Report, May, 1958, pp. 381-391.
- Huber H., Daimler-Benz A-G Presentation to SAE Impact and Rollover Subcommittee, Detroit, January, 1970.
- MVSS 208 “Occupant Crash Protection” Section S5. 3, Federal Register, Vol. 36, No. 232, December 2, 1971.
- Sinke R. A., and Prevost T. G., “An Automotive Crash Test Facility”, Paper 700527 Presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May, 1970.