This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Engine Testing by Computer Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a computer-controlled engine test cell being developed at the General Motors Research Laboratories. The object is to combine the advantages of the controlled experimental conditions possible in an engine test cell with the dynamic capabilities of a vehicle driven on the road or on a chassis dynamometer to produce a unique research and development tool. The overall system, consisting of an IBM 1800 process control computer linked to an electric dynamometer and engine in an engine test cell, is introduced.
A description is given of the test cell control and data acquisition instrumentation and of the pallet system which permits prebuilding of engine experimental packages for rapid installation in the test cell. An overview of the computer programs, with emphasis on user interaction, is presented. The throttle and speed control algorithms, which apply road or chassis dynamometer load conditions to the engine in the engine test cell, are discussed. Typical engine torque, speed, and exhaust emission results are shown for a 1970 California cycle run on an engine in the test cell.
CitationCassidy, J. and Rillings, J., "Transient Engine Testing by Computer Control," SAE Technical Paper 720454, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720454.
- Wellington R. Henderson J. Cole M. H. “Experience with a Computer Controlled Data System in an Engine Laboratory.” Paper 680132 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Leonard L. S. LaVerghetta F. E. “Dynamometer Testing Under Computer Control.” Paper 680131 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Sullivan R. W. “Computerized Data Reduction for a Dynamometer Laboratory.” Paper 670705 SAE Combined National Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant, and Transportation Meetings Pittsburgh, Penna. October 1967 1967
- Vanderbilt V. C., Jr. Van Ostrand W. Zimmer C. L. “Integrated Data Acquisition, Safety Monitoring and Control System for Automated Tests.” Paper 670028 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Spain R. F. Kim Y. G. Fisher R. V. “Central Data Collection and Processing with Emphasis on Emissions Data Reduction.” Paper 700172 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Otcasek R. A. “Computerized Data System for an Engine Test Laboratory.” SP-350 “Facilities for Engine Testing of Fuels and Lubricants.” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1969
- Altekruse G. “Two Applications of an On-Line Data Acquisition and Reduction System.” Paper 690498 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1969
- Hubbard D. G. Demcak J. A. “An Automatic Data Acquisition System for General Engine Development, Testing, and Evaluation.” Paper 680565 SAE Combined National Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery, Powerplant and Transportation Meetings Milwaukee September 1968
- Wellington R. “Applications of Automatic Process Control to Engine Development Testing.” Paper 690227 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Williams G. Muir E. “Study of Closed-Loop Control and Data Acquisition for Engine Test Cells.” Paper 680134 Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Larborn A. “Automation in an Engine Laboratory.” Paper 650458 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1965
- Eshelman R. H. “Tape Simulates Engine Runs.” Iron Age 191 6 Feb. 7 1963
- Vanderbilt V. C. Zimmer C. L. “Programming Vehicle Testing Using Magnetic Tape.” Trans., Industrial Electronics and Control Instrumentation 11 1 February 1964
- Feuvre Le Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. Shipinski J. H. “Tape Recording and Computer Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680138
- Stivender D. L. Kimm Y. G. “Dynamic Computer Techniques for Vehicle Emission Development.” Paper 720211 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Cassidy J. F., Jr. “A Comparison of Dynamic Exhaust Emission Tests: Chassis Dynamometer Versus Engine Dynamometer.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 720455
- Waters W. C. “General Purpose Automotive Vehicle Performance and Economy Simulator.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 720043