This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Abatement of Structural Noise in Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mechanism of structural noise in internal combustion engines is defined, and its abatement is considered. Structural noise is shown to dominate the other sources of engine noise at high frequencies. The abatement of engine structural noise by employing the fundamentals of isolating high-frequency vibrations, reducing the radiation efficiency of finite panels, and damping resonant vibrations is discussed.
CitationStrunk, R., "The Abatement of Structural Noise in Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 720405, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720405.
- Rowley Douglas W. “Control of Farm Tractor Intake and Exhaust Noise.” SAE Transactions 75 1966 660598
- Priede T. “Relation Between Form of Cylinder-Pressure Diagram and Noise In Diesel Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 1960-1961 63 77
- Priede T. Austen A. E. W., Grover E. C. “Effect of Engine Structure on Noise of Diesel Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 179 1964 1965 113 143
- Austen A. E. W. Priede T. “Noise of Automotive Diesel Engines: Its Causes and Reduction.” SAE Transactions 74 1965 650165
- Anderton D. Grover E. C. Lalor N. Priede T. “Origins of Reciprocating Engine Noise-Its Characteristics, Prediction, and Control.” ASME paper 70-WA/DGP-3 December 1970
- Ungar Eric E. Ross Donald “Vibrations and Noise due to Piston-Slap in Reciprocating Machinery.” J. Sound Vib. 2 2 1965 132 146
- Ungar Eric E. Dietrich C. W. “High-Frequency Vibration Isolation.” J. Sound Vib. 4 2 1966 224 241
- Skudrzyk E. J. “Theory of Noise and Vibration Insulation of a System with Many Resonances.” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 31 1959 68
- Vér István L. Holmer Curtis d. “Interaction of Sound Waves with Solid Structures.” Noise and Vibration Control New York McGraw-Hill 1971
- Ungar Eric E. “Damping of Panels.” Noise and Vibration Control New York McGraw-Hill 1971