This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of the Parameter Plane Method to the Handling of a Vehicle under Emergency Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a new approach to the problem of handling a vehicle under emergency conditions, showing that the parameter plane method gives a clearer insight into the handling characteristics of vehicles under emergency braking conditions. The value of this method lies in the selection of the two independent parameters. For the particular problem considered, cornering stiffness at the front wheel may be taken as one independent parameter and cornering stiffness at the rear wheel is taken as the other. In other problems, suitable choice of the parameters may be made in order to obtain the necessary information. An illustrative example is included.
The effect of wheel locking on the handling characteristics of the vehicle is studied; the degree of instability is redefined as a nondimensional number, and its utility is indicated. If a specified degree of stability is to be achieved, the roots of the characteristic equation of the system must lie within specified boundaries of the complex s-plane. These boundaries may be mapped on the parameter plane. An adaptive brake control system may be designed to confine the movement of the operating point to the region thus specified.
CitationGuntur, R., "Application of the Parameter Plane Method to the Handling of a Vehicle under Emergency Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 720356, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720356.
- Milliken W. F. et al. “Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tyre Performance.” Proc. IME (London) (Automobile Division) 1956-1957
- Pacejka H. B. “Study of the Lateral Behavior of an Automobile Moving upon a Flat, Level Road and of an Analog Method of Solving the Problem.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Rept. yc-857-F-23 December 1958 Vehicle Research Laboratory, University of Technology Delft (Holland)
- Radt H. S. Milliken W. F. “Motions of Skidding Automobiles,” Paper 205A SAE Summer Meeting Chicago June 1960
- Morrison W. R. S. “On the Lateral Dynamics of an Automobile in Accelerated Motion.” Mech. Chem. Eng. Trans. November 1967 Institution of Engineers Australia
- Ellis J. R. “The Dynamics of a Vehicle during Braking.” Proc. IME Symp. Control of Vehicle During Braking and Cornering 1963
- Radt H. Pacejka H. B. “Analysis of Steady-State Turning Behaviour of an Automobile.” Proc. IME Symp. Control of Vehicle During Braking and Cornering 1963
- Proc. IME Symp. Handling of Vehicles under Emergency Conditions 1969
- Hirao O. Matsuura Y. Miyabe M. “Improvement of Safety of an Automobile as Man-Machine System at High-Speed Running.” FISITA 1968
- Siljak D. D. “Analysis and Synthesis of Feedback Control System in the parameter Plane, Pt I-Linear Control Systems.” IEEE Trans. (Application and Industry) 83 November 1964 449 458
- Koiter W. T. Pacejka H. B. “On the Skidding of Vehicles with one or more Locked Wheels.” Proc. IME Symp. Handling Vehicle under Emergency Conditions 1969
- Holmes K. E. Stone R. D. “Tyre Forces as Functions of Cornering and Braking Slip on Wet Road Surface.” Proc. IME Symp. Handling of Vehicles under Emergency Conditions 1969