This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Cost/Performance Comparison of Die Cast Zinc and Glass-Reinforced Thermoplastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an earlier paper, a series of comparison tests were described that verified the cost/performance advantage of die-cast zinc over five unreinforced, engineering thermoplastics in tension, flexure, creep, impact, and fatigue when compared under identical test procedures and specimen geometries as dictated by plastics industry standards. Additional tests showed the superiority of die-cast zinc over these same thermoplastics in regard to thread strength, dimensional stability, heat distortion, weathering, flammability, and chemical stress cracking.
This paper reports on a continuation of these same series of test procedures where die-cast zinc is compared with six 40% glass-reinforced thermoplastics. Again the results continue to show the cost/performance superiority of die-cast zinc over the reinforced thermoplastics tested.
CitationLazar, L. and Herrschaft, D., "A Cost/Performance Comparison of Die Cast Zinc and Glass-Reinforced Thermoplastics," SAE Technical Paper 720289, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720289.
- Lazar L. S. Herrschaft D. C. “An Engineering Comparison of Die Cast Zinc and Injection Molded Polymers.” Paper 710199 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Theberge J. E. Hall N. T. “Impact Behavior of Glass - Fortified Thermoplastics.” Modern Plastics July 1969
- Jones R. F. “New Developments in Fortified Thermoplastics.” Machine Design Nov. 13 1969
- Parker G. R. “Reinforced Plastics 1970-75.” Chemical and Engineering News Jan. 26 1970
- “Engineers Guide to Glass Reinforced Plastics.” Materials Engineering February 1970
- “Nothing but Growth for Reinforced Plastics.” Industry Week Oct. 12 1970
- Clauser H. R. “FRP: Corrosion's Latest Enemy.” Iron Age Oct. 15 1970
- Funer R. E. Dudinyak R. S. “The Superpolymers.” Machine Design Nov. 26 1970
- Dent Bernard K. “Woodgrain Techniques for Trim Components.” Paper 710063 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Theberge J. E. Arkles B. Cloud P. J. “Thermal and Environmental Resistance of Glass - Reinforced Thermoplastics.” Machine Design Feb. 4 1971
- Platzer Norbert “Performance Characteristics of Thermoplastics.” Chem. Tech. March 1971
- Young J. D. “The Growth of Plastics in the U. S. Automobile.” Automotive Engineering June 1971
- Peterson N. S. Carrillo F. V. Vars R. C. “Materials Substitution Study - General Methodology and Review of U. S. Zinc Die Casting Markets.” U. S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8505 1971