This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Crack Propagation in Steel Weldments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fatigue tests have been conducted on low carbon steel butt welds containing lack of penetration defects. The growth of fatigue cracks from the lack of penetration defects was monitored by radiography. These measurements allowed the total fatigue life to be separated into periods of crack initiation and crack propagation.
It was found that the rate of crack growth conformed to the expression: The initiation period was found to occupy approximately one-half of the total fatigue life and to consist of the cycle necessary to shake down the residual stresses in the weld and to form the lack of penetration defect into an active fatigue crack.
CitationLawrence, F. and Munse, W., "Fatigue Crack Propagation in Steel Weldments," SAE Technical Paper 720267, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720267.
- Paris P. C. Erdogan F. “A Critical Analysis of Crack Propagation Laws.” Jrl. of Basic Engineering, ASME Transactions 85 1963 4 528
- Pook L. P. “Fatigue Crack Growth Data for Various Materials Deduced from the Fatigue Lives of Precracked Plates.” Fifth National Symposium on Fracture Mechanics University of Illinois September 1971
- Barsom J. M. “Fatigue-Crack Propagation in Steels of Various Yield Strengths.” First National Congress on Pressure Vessels and Piping San Francisco May 1971
- Harrison J. D. “The Analysis of Fatigue Test Results for Butt Welds with Lack of Penetration Defects Using a Fracture Mechanics Approach.” Fracture 1969, Proceedings, Second International Conference on Fracture, Brighton April 1969 London Chapman and Hall Ltd. 1969
- Crooker T. W. Lange E. A. “How Fatigue Strength and Fracture Toughness Considerations Can Influence Fatigue Design Procedures for Structural Steels.” Welding Jrl. 49 10 October 1970
- Barsom V. M. Imhof E. J., Jr. Rolfe S. T. “Fatigue Crack Propagation in High Strength Steels.” U. S. Steel Technical Report 39.018-007 27 December 20 1968
- Lawrence F. V., Jr. Radziminski J. B. “Fatigue Crack Initiation and Propagation in High-Yield-Strength Steel Weld Metal.” Welding Jrl. 49 10 October 1970
- Radziminski J. B. Lawrence F. V., Jr. Mukai S. Panjwani P. N. Johnson R. Mah R. Munse W. H. “Low Cycle Fatigue of HY-130 (T) Butt Welds.” Civil Engineering Studies, Structural Research Series No. 342 University of Illinois December 1968
- Radziminiski J. B. Lawrence F. V., Jr. Wells T. W. Mah R. Munse W. H. “Low Cycle Fatigue of Butt Weldments of HY-100 (T) and HY-130 (T) Steel.” CM Engineering Studies, Structural Research Series No. 361 University of Illinois July 1970
- Ekstrom D. K. Munse W. H. “The Effect of Internal Weld Defects on the Fatigue Behavior of Welded Connections.” Technical Report, Department of Civil Engineering University of Illinois November 1971
- Feddersen C. E. “Plane Strain Crack Toughness Testing of High Strength Metallic Materials,” Brown W. F. Srawley J. E. ASTM STP No. 410 1967