This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Refinement of Induction and Exhaust Systems Using Steady-State Flow Bench Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Application of steady-state flow-bench techniques to engine intake- and exhaust-system components usually produces significant gains in flow capability. This paper describes instrumentation, equipment, and procedures. Empirical design guidelines are presented. Case studies are used to illustrate the process of design refinement: variety of flow-bench programs on induction- and exhaust-system components is described; methods of attack are illustrated; reader insights into most-critical areas of tested components are presented.
CitationLeydorf, G., Minty, R., and Fingeroot, M., "Design Refinement of Induction and Exhaust Systems Using Steady-State Flow Bench Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 720214, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720214.
- Young V. C. “Aircraft-Engine Inlet and Exhaust Porting.” SAE Transactions 52 1944
- Livengood J. C. Eppes J. V. D. “Effect of Changing Manifold Pressure, Exhaust Pressure, and Valve Timing on the Air Capacity and Output of a Four-Stroke Engine Operated with Inlet Valves of Various Diameters and Lifts.” NACA Technical Note No. 1366 December 1947
- Brandstetter W. R. “Similarity Laws for Four-Stroke Engines and Numerical Results for the Intake Process Calculated with the Method of Characteristics.” Paper 690466 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1969
- Hassan W. T. F. “The Coventry Climax Racing Engine 1961-1965.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660742
- Wood, G. B. Jr. Hunter D. V. Taylor E. S. Taylor C. F. “Air Flow Through Intake Valves.” SAE Transactions 50 1942
- Eppes J. V. D. Livengood J. C. Taylor C. F. “The Effect of Changing the Ratio of Exhaust-Valve Flow Capacity to Inlet-Valve Flow Capacity on Volumetric Efficiency and Output of a Single-Cylinder Engine.” NACA Technical Note No. 1365 October 1947
- ASME Power Test Codes “Flow Measurement Instruments and Apparatus,” “Measurement of Quantity of Materials.” American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York 1959
- Rominsky A. O. “Mark II-427 GT Engine Induction System.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670067