This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Mobile Instrumented Vehicle for Measuring Road Performance and Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes Shell's mobile instrumented vehicle for measuring road performance and exhaust emissions. Information is given on the design criteria and construction features of the vehicle and its instrumentation system. Test results show typical applications of the vehicle in providing data on the effect of engine adjustment and component condition on performance, fuel economy, and exhaust emissions.
Instrumentation in the vehicle includes exhaust-gas analyzers to measure unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, and carbon dioxide concentrations in the exhaust gases. The center of the system is a 40-channel magnetic tape data logger which can accumulate approximately 1.5 million data points per hour. The data logging system includes 10 operating parameters, 10 exhaust gas temperatures, and 20 vehicle and engine temperatures. Accumulators are used to log time, distance, and fuel consumption. Manual data are also logged as an event reference. The data acquisition system allows an efficient manipulation of the data using high-speed computer facilities.
The concept of the system is to provide sufficient instrumentation flexibility to permit measurements of emission and road performance parameters under realistic road conditions.
CitationDoty, W. and Olejnik, L., "A Mobile Instrumented Vehicle for Measuring Road Performance and Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 720212, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720212.
- Van Derveer R. T. Hittler D. L. “Exhaust Gas Device Testing-Road or Chassis Dynamometer?” Paper 486K SAE Automobile Week Detroit March 1962
- Beer A. O. “Mobile Data Acquisition System.” Paper 690355 SAE Earthmoving Industry Conference Meeting Peoria, Ill April 1969
- Orme R. W. Penfold G. F. Thomas K. R. “Telemetry System for Data Acquisition from Test Vehicles.” Paper 690727 SAE Mississippi Valley Section Davenport, Iowa May 1969
- 549 868
- Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Air Pollution from Automotive Exhaust.” 1968 Horning Memorial Lecture, SAE paper 680241
- Goodwillie R. E. Jacob N. M. Beckman E. W. “The Chrysler Cleaner Air System for 1970.” Paper 700151 SAE Automotive Engineering, Congress Detroit January 1970
- Federal Register 33 108 June 4 1968