This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Head and Eye Positions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of previous SAE drivers' eye-location studies have been used to develop a fixed seat eyellipse and contours that describe drivers' head locations. Centroid data from these and other eye-location studies are used as a means of locating the SAE eyellipse according to seat back angle. Part I comprises the discussion of these data.
Studies recently completed provided data on drivers' eye locations for varied vehicle packages ranging from sports cars to heavy trucks. The results are summarized in Part II as a series of tables, which include statistical definitions of tangent cutoff eyellipses.
Part III of this report describes a method for positioning a fixed seat eyellipse according to seat back angle. A method is also shown for measuring headroom relative to seat back angle.
|Technical Paper||Automobile Driver Eye Position|
|Technical Paper||Describing the Driver's Work Space: Eye, Head, Knee, and Seat Positions|
|Technical Paper||The Eyellipse and Considerations in the Driver’s Forward Field of View - Part 1|
CitationHammond, D. and Roe, R., "Driver Head and Eye Positions," SAE Technical Paper 720200, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720200.
- Meldrum J. F. “Automobile Driver Eye Position.” Paper 650464 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago May 1965
- Hromi J. D. “Van Driver Eye Position Study,” Minutes of the Driver Vision Subcommittee, SAE Human Factors Engineering Committee Jan. 14 1971
- Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice- “Motor Vehicle Driver's Eye Range” SAE J941b February 1969
- Clemens J. M. “Summary Driver Eye Position Studies.” Minutes of Driver Vision Subcommittee, SAE Human Factors Engineering Committee April 27 1971
- Hammond David C. “Eyellipse Locator Line.” Driver Vision Subcommittee, SAE Human Factors Engineering Committee June 2 1971
- Letter to Design Devices Subcommittee “Driver Head Position Contours,” J. Versace Jan. 14 1972
- Chaffee J. W. “Andrometry: A Practical Application of Coordinate Anthropometry.” Convair Report No. FZY012 April 18 1961
- Roe Ronald W. “Simplified Photogrammetric Procedure for Determining Driver's Eye Location.” Letter to the Driver Vision Subcommittee of the SAE Human Factors Engineering Committee April 28 1971
- “Weight, Height, and Selected Body Dimensions of Adults, United States: 1960-1962.” U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, National Center for Health Statistics, Public Health Service Publication No. 1000 8
- Roe R. “Summary of Eye Ellipse Studies.” Minutes of Meeting of the Driver Vision Subcommittee, SAE Human Factors Committee Jan. 14 1971
- McCabe J. “Review of GMT-Point Curve.” Minutes of Meeting of the Driver Vision Subcommittee, SAE Human Factors Engineering Committee