This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooperative Evaluation of Techniques for Measuring Nitric Oxide and Carbon Monoxide - A Report of the Program Group on Diesel Exhaust Composition of the Air Pollution Advisory Committee of the Coordinating Research Council, Inc.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Coordinating Research Council cooperative program was conducted to evaluate the measurement methods used to analyze nitric oxide and carbon monoxide in diesel exhaust. Initially, a single-cylinder test engine was circulated among participants with poor results. Tests were then conducted at one site using a multicylinder diesel engine. Six organizations participated in the program. Exhaust analyses were conducted at steady-state engine conditions and on a 3 min cycle test. Span gases of unknown concentration were also analyzed. The participants results varied but averaged less than ±5% standard deviation both within (repeatability) and among (reproducibility) the instruments. The short cycle test was in good agreement with the steady-state measurements. No significant difference in the use of Drierite, nonindicating Drierite, or Aquasorb desiccants was evident in sampling system tests. The instrumentation and methods used in this study were satisfactory for conducting emission measurements of diesel exhaust.
CitationPerez, J., Broering, L., and Johnson, J., "Cooperative Evaluation of Techniques for Measuring Nitric Oxide and Carbon Monoxide - A Report of the Program Group on Diesel Exhaust Composition of the Air Pollution Advisory Committee of the Coordinating Research Council, Inc.," SAE Technical Paper 720104, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720104.
- “Cooperative Evaluation of Techniques for Measuring Hydrocarbons in Diesel Exhuast.” Coordinating Research Council Report 431 February 1970
- “Cooperative Evaluation of Techniques for Measuring NO and CO in Diesel Exhaust.” Coordinating Research Council Report 443 March 1971
- Measurement of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust SAE J177 September 1970 SAE Recommended Practice, SAE Handbook
- Staph R. A. Knopf D. W. “Caterpillars 1100 Series Direct Injection Engine.” Paper 690120 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Bascom R. C. Hass G. C. “A Status Report on the Development of the 1973 California Diesel Emissions Standards.” Paper 700671 presented at SAE West Coast Meeting Los Angeles August 1970
- “California Exhaust Emission Standards, Test and Approval Procedures for Diesel Engines in 1973 and Subsequent Model Year Vehicles over 6,001 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight.” State of California Air Resources Board November 1970
- CRC Symposium on Diesel Exhaust Odor and Emission Measurement Chicago October 1969