This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Determination of Vehicle Drag Contributions from Coast-Down Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The problem of aerodynamic and rolling resistance characteristics of cars and trucks is of considerable importance to vehicle engineers as the two major contributions to external vehicle drag. Many testing methods have been developed including wind tunnel testing of scale models, testing of full-size production cars, and coast-down testing. The advantages and disadvantages of each method are discussed and analyzed.
|Technical Paper||The Analytical Basis of Automobile Coastdown Testing|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Coast-Down Data to Assess Aerodynamic Drag Reduction on Full-Scale Tractor-Trailer Trucks in Windy Environments|
CitationWhite, R. and Korst, H., "The Determination of Vehicle Drag Contributions from Coast-Down Tests," SAE Technical Paper 720099, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720099.
- Larrabee E. E. “Small Scale Research in Automobile Aerodynamics.” Paper 660384 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit June 1966
- Turner T. R. “Wind Tunnel Investigation of a 3/8 Scale Automobile Model over a Moving-Belt Ground Plane.” NASA Technical Note TN D-4229 November 1967
- Gross D. S. Sekscienski W. “Some Problems Concerning Wind Tunnel Testing of Automotive Vehicles.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660385
- Fosberry R. A. C. White R. G. S. Carr G. W. “A British Automotive Wind Tunnel Installation and Its Application.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650001
- Marceli R. D. Romberg G. F. “The Aerodynamic Development of the Charger Daytona for Stock Car Competition.” Paper 700036 SAE Automotive Congress Detroit January 1970
- Marks Lionel S. “Mechanical Engineers Handbook.” Fifth New York McGraw-Hill Co 101
- Brown R. F. “Your Car's Horsepower.” Road and Track 22 3 November 1970 96 100
- Berlin 1942 116
- Beauvais F. N. Trignor S. C. Turner T. R. “Accuracy of Car Wind Tunnel Tests not Aided by Moving Ground Plane.” SAE Journal 77 9 September 1969 64 67
- Curtiss W. W. “Low Power Loss Tires.” Paper 690108 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Ellis J. R. “Vehicle Dynamics.” London Business Books Ltd., 12
- Private communication from Lajoie R. G. at Chrysler Engineering Office Highland Park (Detroit), Mich
- Private communication from Dr. C. Marks, General Motors Engineering Staff General Motors Technical Center Warren, Mich.
- White R. G. S. “A Method of Estimating Automobile Drag Coefficients.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690189
- Schlichting H. “Boundary Layer Theory.” Fourth McGraw-Hill Co. 1960 34