This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Making A Road Simulator Simulate
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper defines a laboratory road simulator system and discusses various problems associated with using such a machine to test vehicles.
Advantages and disadvantages of various methods for applying input forces to the vehicle are discussed to show why the author chose the method of exciting through the tire in the vertical direction only.
The development of a method for solving the problem of simulating the rolling tire vertical properties is presented. Vertical and fore-aft response correlation resulting from this tire simulation is shown and the types of problems the author has chosen to study with this test system are explained.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Tire Dynamics over Small Obstacles Using Virtual Profiles and a Substructuring Method|
|Technical Paper||Modeling of Tire Rolling Contact Response by REF Model|
|Technical Paper||Road and Dynamometer Tire Power Dissipation|
CitationCripe, R., "Making A Road Simulator Simulate," SAE Technical Paper 720095, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720095.
- Lippmann S. A. Nanny J. D. “A Quantitative Analysis of the Enveloping Forces of Passenger Tires.” SAE Transactions 76 670174
- Lippmann S. A. Piccin W. A. Baker T. P. “Enveloping Characteristics of Truck Tires-A Laboratory Evaluation.” Report to United States Rubber Tire Co.
- Chiesa A. Oberto L. Tamburini L. “Transmission of Tyre Vibrations.” Rubber Laboratories, Pirelli S.p.A. Milan, Italy 1964
- Nordeen Donald L. “Analysis of Tire Lateral Forces and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data.” SAE Transactions 76 670173
- Tarpinian H. D. “Equipment for Measuring Forces and Moments on Passenger Tires.” Paper 690077 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Rasmussen Richard E. Cortese Anthony D. “Dynamic Spring Rate Performance of Rolling Tires.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680408
- Whittemore A. P. “A Technique for Measuring ‘Effective’ Road Profiles.” Paper 720094 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Nordeen D. L. Kristofetz W. “Rear Suspension Dynamics.” General Motors Research Laboratories June 21 1966