This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Stratified Charge Multifuel Military Engine-A Progress Report
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is a progress report on the conversion of the military L-141 gasoline engine to the Texaco Controlled-Combustion System and the evaluation of naturally aspirated and turbocharged installations in an M-151 vehicle. Relative to the standard gasoline vehicle, significant improvement in fuel economy with low exhaust emission levels were demonstrated as were the multifuel capabilities and excellent cold starting facility of the combustion concept. Possibilities for further improvement in TCCS exhaust quality through adjustment of operating parameters and add-on devices are also presented. This work was done under contract to the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command.
|Development of Compact, Water-Cooled Engine K2AS
|Volvo's MEP and PCP Engines: Combining Environmental Benefit with High Performance
|LES Calculations of a Four Cylinder Engine
CitationMitchell, E., Alperstein, M., Cobb, J., and Faist, C., "A Stratified Charge Multifuel Military Engine-A Progress Report," SAE Technical Paper 720051, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720051.
- Gay E. J. “Military Multifuel Compression-Ignition Engines and Their Fuel Requirements.” API Midyear Meeting, Division of Refining Detroit May 1960
- Barber E. M. Malin J. B. Mikita J. J. “The Elimination of Combustion Knock.” Journal of Franklin Institute 241 4 April 1946
- Barber E. M. Reynolds B. Tierney W. T. “Elimination of Combustion Knock-Texaco Combustion Process.” SAE Summer Meeting French Lick, Ind. June 1950
- Davis C. W. Barber E. M. Mitchell E. “Fuel Injection and Positive Ignition-A Basis for Improved Efficiency and Economy.” SAE Summer Meeting Chicago June 1960
- Mitchell E. Cobb J. M. Frost R. A. “Design and Evaluation of a Stratified Charge Multifuel Military Engine.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680042
- Summerson W. A. Mitchell E. “Small Military Engine-Stratified Charge Combustion Yields Multifuel Capability.” Automotive Industries Dec. 1 1967 71 76