This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Occupant Protection in Rear-End Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the problem of occupant protection in severe rear-end collisions from the standpoint of high performance seat structures and head restraints. Consideration is given to both fixed head restraints and to deployable head restraints. Two-dimensional computer simulations of occupant kinematics in a variety of rear-end collisions are utilized to provide initial performance criteria for head restraint design configurations. The resulting prototype system underwent a test and development program on an impact sled. The results of the various prototype performances and general criteria for high performance head restraint systems are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Safer Seat Designs|
|Technical Paper||A Survey of Automotive Occupant Restraint Systems: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Our Current Problems|
|Technical Paper||Headrest and Seat Back Design Proposals|
CitationMelvin, J. and McElhaney, J., "Occupant Protection in Rear-End Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 720033, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720033.
- Carter R. L. “DOT Crash Survivability Program.” International Conference on Passive Restraints NATA May 1970
- Gurdjian E. S. “Neckache and Backache Due to Degenerative and/or Traumatic Musculoskeletel Processes. A ByProduct of Modern Culture.” Springfield, III. Thomas Charles C 1970 3 23
- Ommaya A. K. Yarnell P. “Subdural Hematoma After Whiplash Injury.” Lancet 2 1969 237 239
- Mertz H. J. Patrick L. M. “Investigation of the Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670919
- Portnoy H. D. et al. “Intracranial Pressure and Head Acceleration During Whiplash.” Proc. 145th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE P-33, paper 700900 New York Society of Automotive Engineers 1970
- Severy D. M. et al. “Vehicle Design for Passenger Protection from High Speed Rear-end Collisions.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680774
- Melvin J. W. McElhaney J. H. Roberts V. L. Portnoy H. D. “Deployable Head Restraints-A Feasibility Study.” Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE 39 paper 710803 New York Society of Automotive Engineers 1972
- Robbins D. H. Bennett R. O. Henke A. W. Alem N. N. “Predictions of Mathematical Models Compared with Impact Sled Test Results Using Anthropometric Dummies.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700907
- Ommaya A. K. et al. “Comparative Tolerances for Cerebral Concussion by Head Impact and Whiplash Injury in Primates.” SAE-FISITA International Automobile Safety Conference Compendium SAE P-30 New York Society of Automotive Engineers 1970 808 817