This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Radiant Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heat transfer from gases to the wall of the combustion chamber of a diesel engine consists of two modes of heat transmission: convection and radiation. The quantitative relation between the two components has been directly measured only to a small extent in diesel engines. In order to prepare the derivation of an equation that would express more accurately the instantaneous heat transfer rate, the heat flux at each crank angle flowed from the gases to the cylinder wall was measured experimentally in diesel engines. The radiant heat flux was extracted from the above-mentioned total heat flux by using a thermocouple covered with a sapphire window.
Integrating the instantaneous values of both radiant and total heat fluxes, the ratio of the former flux to the latter was determined versus the value of indicated mean effective pressure.
CitationOguri, T. and Inaba, S., "Radiant Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 720023, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720023.
- Nusselt W., “Der Wärmeübergang in der Verbrennungskraftmaschine.” VDI Forschungsarbeiten, No. 264 (1923).
- Eichelberg G., “Some New Investigations in Old Internal-Combustion Engine Problems.” Engineering, Vol. 148 (1939), pp. 463, 547, 603, 682, and Vol. 149 (1940), p. 297.
- Taylor C. F., “Heat Transmission in Internal-Combustion Engines.” Proc. of General Discussion on Heat Transfer, Inst. Mech. Engrs., London (September 1951), p. 397.
- Overbye V. D., Bennethum J. E., Uyehara O. A., and Myers P.S., “Unsteady Heat Transfer in Engines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 69 (1961), p. 461.
- LeFeuvre T., Myers P. S., and Uyehara O. A., “Experimental Instantaneous Heat Fluxes in a Diesel Engine and Their Correlation.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690464.
- Pflaum W., “Der Wärmeübergang bei Dieselmaschinen mit und ohne Aufladung.” Jahrbuch der Schiffbautechnischen Gesellschaft, Vol. 54 (1960), p. 39, or MTZ, Vol. 22, No. 3 (1961), p. 70.
- Alcock J. F., “Thermal Loading of Diesel Engines.” Transactions of Inst. Marine Engrs., Vol. 77, No. 10 (1965), p. 279.
- Woschni G., “Beitrag zum Problem des Wärmeüberganges im Verbrennungsmotor.” MTZ, Vol. 26, No. 4 (1965), p. 128.
- Annand W. J. D., “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 177, No. 36 (1963), p. 973.
- Sitkei G., “Beitrag zur Theorie des Wärmeüberganges im Motor.” Konstruktion, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1962), p. 67.
- Elser K., “Der instationäre Wärmeübergang in Diesel-motoren.” Mitteilungen aus dem Inst. Thermodyn. und Verbrennungs., ETH Zürich, No. 15 (1954).
- Butler J. F., “Water-Cooled Piston: Construction and Heat Transfer.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol. 179, Part 3C (1964-1965), p. 168.
- Ebersole G. D., Myers P. S., and Uyehara O. A., “The Radiant and Convective Components of Diesel Engine Heat Transfer,” Paper 701C presented at SAE International Summer Meeting, Montreal, June 1963.
- Myers P. S. and Uyehara O. A., “Radiant Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines.” Proc. 1967 Semi-International Symposium, Tokyo, September 1967 (Heat Transfer, Vol. 1, p. 19).
- Oguri T. and Inaba S., “Radiant Heat Transfer in the Cylinder of Diesel Engine.” JARI Technical Memorandum (Japan Automobile Research Institute), No. 1 (September 1970), p. 197.
- Oguri T., Inaba S., and Hsiue H., “Radiant Heat Transfer in a Diesel Engine Cylinder.” Transactions of SAE of Japan, No. 2 (July 1971), p. 3.