This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Biomechanical Manikins for Measuring Seat Comfort
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A manikin that can simulate the final stable posture of a seated human being has been developed in order to evaluate seat comfort quantitatively and to analyze the biomechanical characteristics of seats.
J-SAE 3DM, a manikin with the dimensions of a Japanese 50th percentile person made to imitate the SAE three-dimensional manikin standardized in SAE J826 was employed as the original; three additional joints were installed on its back pan to make it flexible.
In this paper, the authors' view of seat comfort, on which their study was based, is summarized. Then the progress of development and various experimental results showing the usability of the final model are outlined.
|Technical Paper||Benchmarking Seat Comfort|
|Technical Paper||Investigations of the Performance of Ejection Seat Cushions for Safety and Comfort|
|Technical Paper||The Effects of Anthropometry on Driver Position and Clearance Measures|
CitationKohara, J. and Sugi, T., "Development of Biomechanical Manikins for Measuring Seat Comfort," SAE Technical Paper 720006, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720006.
- Thier R. H. “Measurement of Seat Comfort.” Automobile Engineer February 1963
- Kohara J. et al. “The Measure of Man.” Ishiyaku Shuppan Tokyo 1968
- Schoberth H. “Sitzhaltung, Sitzschaden, Sitzmöbel.” Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, West Germany 1962
- Dreyfuss H. “Seat for People.” Machine Design Nov. 10 1960
- Keegan J. J. “Designing Vehicle Seats for Greater Comfort.” SAE Journal 72 September 1964
- Stoboy H. Friedelbold G. “Wirebelsaülenform und Aktivität der Rückenstrecker in Extremen Körperstellungen.” Proceedings of Second International Congress on Ergonomics Dortmund, West Germany 1964
- Matsuno M. “Three Dimensional Manikins Developed by Society of Automobile Engineers of Japan.” Journal of SAE of Japan 22 7 1968
- Kaptur, V. D. Jr. Myal M. C. “The General Motors Comfort Dimensioning System.” Paper 267B SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1961
- Devices for Use in Defining and Measuring Vehicle Seating Accomodation SAE J826a February 1970 SAE Handbook