This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Human Buttocks in Sitting: Pressures, Patterns, and Palliatives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
After a brief description of relevant buttock structure, the author presents summary data on buttock size, tuberosity locations, and other dimensions needed for improved seat design, as measured from a sample of 35 young males chosen to approximate the range of USAF flying personnel. Summary load patterns for two angles of seat back (pelvic inclination) are shown, and suggestions to reduce the discomfort of long-continued sitting are made. Curves and data for successful USAF seat surfaces are presented. Citing recent increases in American body size, the author calls for an anthropometric survey on a national sample in which numerous data needed for automotive and other industrial design would be acquired.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Seating Comfort|
|Technical Paper||Determining the Parameters of Feeling for a Mechanism of Seat Adjustment|
CitationHertzberg, H., "The Human Buttocks in Sitting: Pressures, Patterns, and Palliatives," SAE Technical Paper 720005, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720005.
- Bassett D. L. “A Stereoscopic Atlas of Human Anatomy Anatomy.” 1954
- Randall F. E. Damon Albert Benton Robert S. Patt Donald I. “Human Body Size in Military Aircraft and Personal Equipment.” Army Air Forces Technical Report 5501 Army Air Forces, Air Materiel Command Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio 1946
- Hertzberg H. T. E. Daniels G. S. “The Center of Gravity of a Fully-Loaded F-86 Ejection Seat in the Ejection Position.” Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio 1950
- Swearingen J. J. “Determination of Centers of Gravity of Man.” Civil Aeronautics Medical Research Laboratory Oklahoma City, Okla. 1953
- Dempster W. T. “Space Requirements of the Seated Operator.” Wright Air Development Center Ohio 1955
- Santschi W. R. Dubois J. Omoto C. “Moments of Inertia and Centers of Gravity of the Human Body.” 1963 Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Dubois Santschi Walton Scott Mazy “Moments of Inertia and Centers of Gravity of the Living Human Body Encumbered by a Full-Pressure Suit.” 1964
- Swearingen J. J. Young J. W. “Determination of Centers of Gravity of Children, Sitting and Standing.” Report No. AM 65-23 1965 Federal Aviation Agency, Civil Aero-medical Research Institute Oklahoma City, Okla
- Duggar B. L. “The Center of Gravity and Moment of Inertia of the Human Body.” “The Human Body in Equipment Design,” Damon Stoudt McFarland Cambridge, Mass. Harvard University Press 1966
- Edwards E. A. Duntley S. Q. “The Pigments and Color of Living Human Skin.” American Journal of Anatomy 65 1939 1 34
- Tea Clark A. “Automobile Seat Cushions and Riding Comfort.” SAE Transactions 43 1938 26 29
- Lay W. E. Fisher L. C. “Riding Comfort and Cushions.” SAE Transactions 47 1940 482 496
- Hertzberg H. T. E. “Some Contributions of Applied Physical Anthropology to Human Engineering.” Symposium on Dynamic Anthropometry New York Academy of Sciences 63 1955 616 629
- Hertzberg H. T. E. Daniels G. S. Churchill E. “Anthropometry of Flying Personnel-1950.” 1954 Aero Medical Laboratory Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Hertzberg H. T. E. “Contoured Seat for the Top of an Experimental Rigid Dinghy Box.” Memorandum Report TSEAA-670-9, ATI 139 061 1947 Aero Medical Laboratory Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Hertzberg H. T. E. “Contoured Seat for the Top of an Experimental Rigid Dinghy Box: Report No. 2.” Memorandum Report MCREXD-670-9D, ATI 67990 1949 Aero Medical Laboratory Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Hertzberg H. T. E. “Seat Comfort.” “Annotated Bibliography of Applied Physical Anthropology in Human Engineering,” Hansen R. Cornog D. Hertzberg H. T. E. Aero Medical Laboratory, Wright Air Development Center Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Hertzberg H. T. E. “On the Nation's Need of a National Center for Anthropometric Data.” 40th annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists Boston April 1971
- Terry R. J. “Osteology.” “Morris' Human Anatomy,” Ninth Jackson C. M.