This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fuel Filter Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The published test methods for diesel fuel filters are reviewed in the light of the conditions in service.
The measurement of diesel fuel filter performance in service is a long and costly process. The fact that most filters in service are choked by soft organic trace constituents of the fuel causes the greatest difficulty in laboratory testing. A test method which reproduces the organic choking effect has been described and is satisfactory for comparative tests; it has not been adopted as a standard owing mainly to difficulties associated with variability of the choking life measurement. A possible solution to this problem is suggested.
CitationBartlett, P., "Diesel Fuel Filter Testing," SAE Technical Paper 710814, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710814.
- Onion G. “Diesel Fuel Contamination and the Design Design and Application of Filters and Water Separators” Filtration and Separation November December 1965
- McClelland J.E. Billet S.M. “Filter Life versus Engine Wear” SAE Transactions 74 1966 650866
- Austen A.E.W. Goodridge B.E. “Wear of Fuel Injection Equipment and Filtration of Fuel for Compression-Ignition Engines” Proceedings Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Automobile Division Part III 1950-51
- Onion G. “Laboratory Assessment of Diesel Fuel Filters” Proceedings of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Lubrication and Wear Group 176 10 1962
- Fairchild D. “How to Select Filters” Paper No. 680258 . SAE Earthmoving Industry Conference 9-10 April 1968
- “Fuel Filter Test Method” SAE J905 Handbook Supplement December 1964
- “Methods of Test for Diesel Engine Filters” Indian Standards Institution I S:3351-1968
- “Fuel Filters for Compression Ignition Engines” “Determination of Pressure Differential/Flow Characteristics and Initial Particle Retention” British Standards Institution BS 4551 1970
- Rose K. “Fuel Filters for Diesel Injection Systems” MTZ 31 3 March 1970 115 119
- Fodor J. Keomley K. “Investigations on Vehicle-Engine Filters by Means of Radio-Isotopes March 1967 68 70
- Onion G. Bartlett P.J. “Measurement of the Filter Choking Propensity of Liquid Fuels” Journal of the Institute of Petroleum 52 515 October 1966