This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Solid Lubrication Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The function of this paper is a review of the solid lubricant technology. Emphasis has been placed on lubricating solids, bonded films including binder materials, and developments in the self-lubricating materials including plastic and metal-bonded composites. Typical uses of solid lubricants are cited. Design guidelines for use of bonded films and self-lubricating composites are outlined.
CitationCampbell, M., "A Review of Solid Lubrication Technology," SAE Technical Paper 710732, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710732.
- Godfrey D. Nelson E.C. “Oxidation Characteristics of MoS 2 and Effect of Such Oxidation on Its Role as a Solid Lubricant.”
- Sliney H. E. “Lubricating Properties of Some Bonded Fluoride and Oxide Coatings for Temperatures to 1580 F.” 1960
- Sliney H. E. “Lubricating Properties of Ceramic-Bonded Calcium Fluoride Coatings on Nickel-Base Alloys from 75 - 1900 F.” 1962
- Sliney H. E. “Self-Lubricating Composites of Porous Nickel and Nickel-Chromium Alloys Impregnated with Barium Fluoride - Calcium Fluoride Eutectic.” July 1966
- Sliney H. E. “Solid Lubricant Bearing Material Operates in Air at 1400 F.” Product Engineering 38 8 April 10 1967
- Sliney H. E. “Rare Earth Fluorides and Oxides, an Exploratory Study of Their Use as Solid Lubricants at Temperatures to 1800 F.” July 1969
- Sliney H. E. “Rare Earth Fluorides Find Use as Solid Lubricants.” Product Engineering July 20 1970
- “Ceramic-Bonded Calcium Fluoride-A Bonded Solid Lubricant Coating.”
- Lavik M. T. Moore G. D. “The Friction and Wear of Thin, Fused Fluoride Films.” Proceedings of the AFML-MRI Conference on Solid Lubricants Sept. 9-11 1969 Kansas City, Mo.
- Fusaro R. L. Sliney H. E. “Preliminary Investigations of Graphite Fluoride (CF x )N as a Solid Lubricant.” March 1969
- Campbell M. E. Hopkins V. “Development of Polyimide Bonded Solid Lubricants.” Lubrication Engineering 23 7 July 1967
- Hopkins V. et al. “Research on Bearing Lubricants for Use in a High Vacuum.” 1962-1967 Midwest Research Institute NASA Contract NAS8-1560
- Hopkins V. et al. “Friction of Solid Film Lubricants Being Developed for Use in Space Environments.” Lubrication Engineering 21 2 February 1965
- Proceedings of the USAF-SwRI Aerospace Bearing Conference San Antonio, Texas March 1964
- Halliwell H. et al. “An Application of Self-Lubricated Composite Materials.” Annual ASLE Meeting Toronto, Ontario, Canada May 1967
- Devine J. J. et al. “Aromatic Polyimide Compositions for Solid Lubrication.” Lubrication Engineering 20 6 June 1964
- Buckley D. H. “Friction and Wear Characteristics of Polyimide and Filled Polyimide Compositions in Vacuum.” February 1966
- Campbell M. E. Van Wyk J. W. “Development and Evaluation of Lubricant Composite Materials.” Lubrication Engineering 20 12 December 1964
- Hubbell R. D. et al. “Development of Solid Lubricant Compacts for Use in Ball Bearing Separators.” Lubrication Engineering 25 1 January 1969
- Bowen P. H. et al. “Wear and Friction Characteristics of Self-Lubricating Composite Materials.” Machine Design August 1963
- Bowen P. H. “Friction and Wear Characteristics of Dry Lubricants.” Machine Design November 1963
- Bowen P. H. et al. “Outgassing Characteristics of Dry Lubricant Materials.” Machine Design July 1963
- Bowen P. H. “Solid Lubrication of Gears and Bearings in Space Environments.” ASLE Transaction 7 3 July 1964
- Demorest K. E. et al. “Evaluation of Direct Current Motors in Vacuum.” November 1967