This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Cold Look at Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increased industrial and commercial activities in the Arctic areas of the world have led to the development of special performance lubricants to meet these requirements. The technical requirements to meet the exigencies of commercial operation in the Arctic are discussed along with several lubricant approaches. The relative merits of the various types of lubricants including synthesized fluids, are presented together with the different areas of application.
CitationMcCoy, R. and Taber, D., "A Cold Look at Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 710716, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710716.
- Bell John “Winterization of Vehicles To - 50 F.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690580
- Manley L. W. Koppenhoefer R. M. Smith P. B. Socolofsky J. F. “Changing Requirements For Industrial Oils and Greases.” World Petroleum Congress Moscow June 1971
- Haviland M. L. “Engine & Transmission Lubricant Viscosity Effect on Low Temperature Cranking and Starting.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690768
- Cameron G. L. Pettit C. W. Rowls G. A. “Cold Cranking Team: Battery, Cables, Cranking Motor, Engine Oil.” Paper 894-B presented at SAE National Farm, Construction, and Industrial Machinery Meeting Milwaukee September 1964
- Solstad Leo G. “Cold Weather Starting Aids and Devices; Coolant, Battery, Lube Oil, Fuel Filter Heaters; Glow Plugs and Starting Fluid.” Paper 660015 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- Whyte R. B. Dr. “Lubrication under Cold Weather Conditions.” Forum of the Farm & Construction Equipment Industry & The American Petroleum Institute Division of Marketing Chicago Feb. 11 1971
- Middleton C. L. McCoy R. R. Stanek J. M. “Modern Hydraulic and Hydrostatic Transmission Fluids.” Paper 700130 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- DiPerna C. J. Law D. A. Lowther H. V. “Performance Advantages from Shear Stable Crossgraded Engine Oils.” Paper 680413 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- Hollinghurst R. Singleton A. “Viscosity and Engine Performance.” Journal of the Institute of Petroleum 55 544 July 1969
- Lowther H. V. “Some Factors Affecting Engine Oil Consumption.” Paper 867 presented at SAE National Fuels and Lubricants meeting Tulsa November 1956
- Ellison W. F. Scrimshaw A. H. “Cold Weather Operation of Fuels and Lubricants in Western Canada.” Paper 650639 presented at SAE International West Coast Meeting Vancouver August 1965
- Lowther H. V. Smith D. B. “Designing Extreme Pressure and Limited Slip Gear Oils.” Paper 700871 presented at SAE National Combined Fuels and Lubricants and Transportation Meetings Philadelphia November 1970
- Stanek J. M. Papay A. G. Myers H. “Development of a Reliable Extreme Pressure (EP) Screening Test for Tractor Lubes.” Paper 680607 presented at SAE National Combined Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery, Powerplant, and Transportation Meetings Milwaukee September 1968