This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Fuel Rate to Computed In-Vehicle Horsepower
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an accurate instrument system developed to determine in-vehicle horsepower. Rapid measurement of fuel rate used in conjunction with a computer to factor in the brake specific consumption and other variables produces an almost instantaneous display of developed horsepower.
CitationNiles, A. and Gardner, W., "Engine Fuel Rate to Computed In-Vehicle Horsepower," SAE Technical Paper 710701, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710701.
- Taborek Jaroslav J., “Mechanics of Vehicles.” Reprinted from Machine Design, 1957.
- McHalowicz Joseph C., “Instrumentation For Precise Measurement of Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption.” Paper 700101 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, January 1970.
- Katz Leonard, “Improved Flow Meter Accuracy with Electro-Mechanical Feedback.” Presented to American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers, San Francisco, January 19, 1970.
- “Engineering Know-How For Engine Design - Part 2.” SP-243. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1963.
- Faires Virgil Moring, “Applied Thermodynamics.” New York: Macmillan Co., 1940.
- Degler Howard E., “Internal Combustion Engines.” New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1938.
- Baumeister Theodore, “Mark's Mechanical Engineers' Handbook,” 6th ed., Section 9 (September 1964), pp. 104-182.
- Salisbury J. Kenneth, “Kent's Mechanical Engineers' Handbook.” Power Volume, 12 ed., Section 13.
- SAE Recommended Practice, Truck Ability Prediction Procedure - SAE J688, SAE Handbook.
- Joyner J. A., “Factors Affecting Fuel Economy in Diesel Powered Vehicles.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), paper 650430.
- Janess Don C. and Manning Howard K., “Advanced Diesel Power Testing Techniques.” Paper 700666 presented at SAE National West Coast Meeting, Los Angeles, August 1970.
- Bascom R. C. and Hass G. C., “A Status Report on the Development of the 1973 California Diesel Emissions Standards.” Paper 700671 presented at SAE National West Coast Meeting, Los Angeles, August 1970.
- SAE Standard, Engine Test Code-Nonturbocharged Spark Ignition and Diesel - SAE J816a, SAE Handbook.
- “Petroleum Measurement Tables,” American edition; United States Units of Measurement, 1970 ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Holler Harold G., “The Influence of Induction and Exhaust System Design on Power Producing Characteristics of Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 79 (1970), paper 700535.
- “Symposium on Diesel Engines-Breathing and Combustion.” IME Proceedings 1965-1966 Vol. 180, Pt. 3N. London: William Clower and Sons Limited, and Beccles for the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.