This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of ROPS Criteria for Construction and Industrial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Performance standards for roll-over protective structures (ROPS) have been developed for four classes of equipment-TTT, loaders, motor graders, and wheel scraper prime movers. The criteria were developed by studying the behavior of roll-proven structures in a laboratory and converting these observations into numerical relationships.
The criteria establish five major requirements:
Resist horizontal force-related to machine weight.
Absorb energy-must deflect without catastrophic failure.
Withstand vertical load after deflection equal to machine weight.
Meet above requirements without entering critical zone.
Must perform at 0 F or material must exhibit Charpy “V” notch impact strength of 8 ft-lb at -20 F.
|Technical Paper||SAE’s Role in ROPS Criteria and Continued Development|
|Technical Paper||Design and Testing of Rollover Protective Structures in Accordance with SAE J395|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) for Wheeled Agricultural Tractors|
CitationStaab, J., "Development of ROPS Criteria for Construction and Industrial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 710693, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710693.
- Moberg Harold A:Son “Tractor Safety Cabs, Test Methods and Experiences Gained During Ordinary Farm Work in Sweden.” National Swedish Testing Institute for Agricultural Machinery
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development “Method of Testing Safety Cabs and Frames on Agricultural Tractors with Pneumatic Tyres.” Division for Technical Action-DAA/T/451 Paris March 1 1966
- Agricultural Machinery and Implements Industry Standards Committee “British Standard Specification for the Safety Requirements and Testing of Safety Cabs and Safety Frames for Agricultural Wheeled Tractors.” British Standard No. 4063 1966
- State of California Dept. of Industrial Relations “Construction Safety Orders.” August 1965
- U. S. Army Corps of Engineers “Safety-General Safety Requirements.” March 1 1967
- SAE Recommended Practice, Minimum Performance Criteria for Roll-Over Protective Structures for Wheel Scraper Prime Movers SAE J320 1968 SAE Handbook
- Minutes of SAE Subcommittee XII Meetings 1967-1968
- SAE Recommended Practice, Minimum Performance Criteria for Roll-Over Protective Structure for Crawler Tractors and Crawler-Type Loaders SAE J395 SAE Handbook
- SAE Recommended Practice, Critical Zone-Characteristics and Dimensions for Operators of Construction and Industrial Machinery SAE J397 SAE Handbook
- Puzak P. P. Pellini W. S. “Evaluation of the Significance of Charpy Tests for Quenched and Tempered Steels.” Welding Research Supplement June 1956 275 290
- McNicol R. C. “Correlation of Charpy Test Results for Standard and Non-standard Size Specimens.” Welding Research Supplement September 1955 385 391
- Banks B. Egan G. R. “V-notch Charpy Impact Testing-How Accurate are the Results” Welding Research Supplement February 1971 43
- Klose G. L. “Engineering Basics of Roll Over Protective Structures as Applied to Construction Equipment.” Paper 690569 SAE Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting Milwaukee September 1969
- Marin Joseph “Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials.” Englewood Cliffs, N. J. Prentice-Hall 1962