This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tire Traction Measurement on the Road and in the Laboratory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper gives a comprehensive analysis of tire-road traction, utilizing new experimental and analytical techniques. It introduces a concept of traction envelope for evaluation of the overall tire traction properties in all operating modes on a common basis. It establishes feasibility of laboratory techniques for tire wet traction measurements and shows good correlation between road and laboratory measurements and also between road measurements on different surfaces. Comparative evaluation between new and conventional techniques for measuring tire traction on the road in cornering with and without power application are given.
|Technical Paper||Tire Longitudinal Elasticity and Effective Rolling Radii: Experimental Method and Data|
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Tire Behavior using Vehicle Dynamic Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Highway Vehicle Stability in Braking Maneuvers|
CitationBergman, W., Clemett, H., and Sheth, N., "Tire Traction Measurement on the Road and in the Laboratory," SAE Technical Paper 710630, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710630.
- Spelman R. H., Tarpinian H. D., Johnson D. E., and Campbell K. L., “SAE Study - Wet Pavement Braking Traction,” Paper 700462 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Detroit, May 1970.
- Hutchinson J. F. and Becker H. D. “Determination of Passenger Tire Performance Levels - Traction.”
- Goodenow G. L., Kolhoff T. R., and Smithson F. D., “Tire-Road Friction Measuring System - A Second Generation.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680137.
- Davisson J. A., “Basic Test Methods for Evaluating Tire Traction.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 77 (1968), paper 680136.
- Bergman W., “Theoretical Prediction of the Effect of Traction on Cornering Force.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 69 (1961), paper 186-A.
- Freeman C. A., “Experimental Determination of the Effect of Traction on Cornering Force.” Paper 186B presented at the SAE Summer Meeting, Chicago, June 1960.
- Bergman W., “Considerations in Determining Vehicle Handling Requirements.” Paper 690234 presented at the SAE International Automotive Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Massa E. and Diana G., “On the Behavior of a Motor Car in Cornering.” Published by the Technical University of Milan, Italy (English translation).
- Dreissiger J. L., “Vehicle Transient Responses.” Automotive Design Engineering, August 1965.
- Bergman W., “The Basic Nature of Vehicle Understeer-Oversteer’” SAE Transactions, Vol. 74 (1966), paper 957B.
- Hammann W. C., “Analytical Prediction of Vehicle Handling Behavior.” Paper 670195 presented at Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1967.
- Bergman W., Fox E., and Saibel E. “Dynamics of an Automobile in a Cornering Maneuver On and Off the Highway.” Paper presented at First International Conference on the Mechanics of Soil-Vehicle Systems, June 1961, Torino, Italy.
- Bergman W., “Effects of Compliance on Vehicle Handling Properties.” Paper presented at the International Automobile Safety Conference, May 1970, Detroit, and at the 13th FISITA Congress, June 1970, Brussels, Belgium.
- Krempel G., “Experimental Beitrag zu Untersuchungen an Kraftfahrzeugreifen.” Dissertation, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1965.
- Gengenbach W., “Das Verhalten von Kraftfahrzeugreifen auf trockener und insbesondere nasser Fahrbahn Experimentelle Untersuchungen auf Prüfstand und Strasse.” Dissertation, University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Holmes K. E. and Stone R. D., “Tire Forces as Functions of Cornering and Braking Slip on Wet Road Surfaces.” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, 1969.
- Clemett H. R., Prepared discussion to the “SAE Study - Wet Pavement Braking Traction.” paper 700462 presented at the SAE Congress, May 1970, Detroit.
- Bajer J. J., “Proposal for Evaluating Wet Skid Resistance of a Road-Tire-Vehicle System.” Paper 690526 presented at the SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, May 1969.
- Allbert B. J., “Tires and Hydroplaning.” Paper 680140 presented at the SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.
- Draper N. R. and Smith H., “Applied Regression Analysis,” New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1966.
- Lipson C. and Sheth N. J., “Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments.”New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1971(To be published in 1971.)
- Bennett C. A. and Franklin N. L., “Statistical Analysis in Chemistry and in Chemical Industry.” New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1954.
- Bowker A. H. and Lieberman G. J., “Engineering Statistics,” Prentice Hall, New Jersey: 1959.