This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Evaluation of the Fatigue Performance of Automotive Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A rapid inexpensive evaluation and comparison of the cyclic properties of three steels used in the automotive industry is presented. This evaluation ranges from the endurance limit through the transition life and low cycle regions to the monotonic results. Smooth and notched specimens, tested in strain control and load control, respectively, provide data that are used to indicate notch sensitivity and size effects, cyclic strength and ductility, and cyclic deformation response. The effect of overloads on fatigue damage is given and prestrained smooth specimens demonstrate the possible effect of a few large plastic strain cycles on fatigue resistance. Overloaded notched specimens indicate reductions in life due to both large plastic strain cycles and the induced tensile residual stress. These data are suitable for direct insertion into the design process and also provide a broad base for continuing studies of cyclic behavior.
CitationWatson, P. and Topper, T., "An Evaluation of the Fatigue Performance of Automotive Steels," SAE Technical Paper 710597, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710597.
- Endo T. and Morrow JoDean, “Cyclic Stress-Strain and Fatigue Behaviour of Representative Aircraft Metals.” Jrl. Materials, JMLSA, Vol. 4, No. 1 (March 1969), pp. 159-175.
- Landgraf R.W., “Cyclic Deformation and Fatigue Behavior of Hardened Steels.” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Illinois, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1969.
- Yamashita N., “The Stress and Strain Distribution of the Neck of a Tensile Specimen.” Bull. JSME, Vol. 9, No. 36 (1966), pp. 637-643.
- Landgraf R.W., Morrow JoDean, and Endo T., “Determination of the Cyclic Stress-Strain Curve.” Jrl. Materials, JMLSA, Vol. 4, No. 1 (March 1969), pp. 176-188.
- Topper T.H. and Wetzel R.M., and Morrow JoDean, “Neuber's Rule Applied to Fatigue of Notched Specimens.” Jrl. Materials, JMLSA, Vol. 4, No. 1 (March 1969), pp. 200-209.
- Topper T.H. and Sandor B.I., “Effects of Mean Stress and Prestrain on Fatigue Damage Summation.” ASTM STP 462, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1970.
- Smith K.N., Watson P., and Topper T.H., “A Stress-Strain Function for the Fatigue of Metals.” Jrl. Materials, JMLSA, Vol. 5, No. 4 (December 1970), pp. 767-778.
- Watson P. and Topper T.H., “The Effect of Overstrains on the Fatigue Behaviour of Five Steels.” Paper presented at 1970 Fall Meeting, The Metallurgical Society of AIME, Cleveland, Ohio, October 1970.
- Forsyth P.J.E., “A Two Stage Process of Fatigue Crack Growth.” Proc. Crack Propagation Symposium, Cranfield, 1961.
- Gowda C.V.B., “Fatigue Behaviour of Notched Mild Steel Plates in Plane Stress.” Ph.D. Thesis, March 1969, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Rosenberger P.C., “Fatigue Behaviour of Smooth and Notched Specimens of Man-Ten Steel.” M.S. Thesis, University of Illinois, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 1968.
- Wetzel R.M., Morrow JoDean, and Topper T.H., “Fatigue of Notched Parts with Emphasis on Local Stresses and Strains.” Naval Air Development Center, Report No. NADCST-6818, September 1968.
- Grover H.J., “Fatigue of Aircraft Structures.” NAVAIR 01-1A-13, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1966.
- Neuber H., Theory of Notch Stresses in “Principles for Exact Stress Calculations.” Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards J.W., 1946.
- Harris H.J., “Metallic Fatigue.” New York: Pergamon Press, 1961.
- Heywood R.B., “Designing by Photoelasticity.” London: Chapman & Hall, Ltd., 1952, p. 348.
- Kugel R., “The Highly Stressed Volume of Material as a Fundamental Parameter in the Fatigue Strength of Metal Members.” University of Illinois, T. & A.M. Report No. 169, June 1960.
- Stadnik S.J., “Simulation of Overload Effects in Fatigue Based on Neuber's Analysis.” University of Illinois, T. & A.M. Report No. 325, 1968.
- Neuber H., “Theory of Stress Concentration for Shear Strained Prismatical Bodies with Arbitrary Non-Linear Stress Strain Law.” Jrl. Appl. Mechanics (December 1961), pp. 544-550.
- Topper T.H. and Gowda C.V.B., “Local Stress-Strain Approach to Fatigue Analysis and Design.” Paper presented at the Design Engineering Conference and Show, Chicago, May 1970.
- Morrow JoDean, Wetzel R.M., and Topper T.H., Laboratory Simulation of Structural Fatigue Behaviour in “Effects of Environment and Complex Load History on Fatigue Life.” ASTM STP 462, American Society for Testing and Materials, 1970, pp. 74-91.