This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Finite Element Approach for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In assessing fatigue life of welded components a reliable determination of fluctuating stress is required. The stress distribution in welded joints primarily depends on geometry, stress concentration, loading case and material elastic or plastic behavior. Classical analysis of fillet weld joints is not generally feasible when complex geometry and load cases are involved. The Finite Element Modeling, when properly integrated with the weld parameters can be of great help for calculating these stresses. In this paper a T-joint FE model was used to investigate the best modeling approach to this type of joint when subjected to combined load cases. Finally, a fatigue life estimation, using the Stress × Life (S × N) approach from British Standard BS-7608 is then performed.
- Sergio F. Alexandre - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
- Arnaldo F. Camarão - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
- Anderson de O. Fernandes - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
- Marcelo A. Bezerra - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
- Marcos A. Argentino - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
- Romulo R. Ripoli - debis humaitá IT Services Latin America Ltda
CitationAlexandre, S., Camarão, A., Fernandes, A., Bezerra, M. et al., "A Finite Element Approach for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Components," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-4077, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-4077.
- SHIGLEY, J. E. and MISCHKE, C. R., “Mechanical Engineering Design”, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1989.
- EDWARDS, K. S. and McKEE, R. B., “Fundamentals of Mechanical Component Design”, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1991.
- Moura Branco, C.; Augusto Fernandes, A.; Tavares de Castro, P. M. S., “Fadiga de estruturas soldadas”, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Porto, 1986.
- FEWeld, Weaver Engineering, 1999.
- BOER, A. De and LU, L.H., “Numerical Modeling of Welded Connections in Orthotropic Steel Decks”, BENCHmark, NAFEMS, January 1998.
- The International Institute of Welding, “Stress Determination for Fatigue Analysis of Welded Components”, 1995.
- BS 7608 - BRITISH STANDARD, “Code of practice for Fatigue design and assessment of steel structures”, 1993.
- ANSYS 5.7.1 - User Guide, ANSYS Inc., 2001.
- IIDA, K., “Application of hot spot strain concept to fatigue life prediction”, Welding in the World, vol. 22, n°. 9/10, pp. 222-246, 1984.