This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Combustion Chamber Surface Temperature on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Concentration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The relationship between surface temperature and exhaust hydrocarbon concentration was explored by installing surface thermocouples at three locations in the combustion chamber of a single-cylinder engine. Coolant temperature, coolant passage surface scale, and ethylene glycol in the coolant affected exhaust hydrocarbon concentration through changes in surface temperature. As power output increased, combustion chamber surface temperature rose, and exhaust hydrocarbon concentration fell. The increase in surface temperature accounted for about 43% of the decrease in hydrocarbon concentration. The reason for the other 57% of the decrease is unknown, but it may have been caused by increasing gas temperatures in the quench zone.
Increasing surface temperature by engine modification would be expected to have adverse effects on engine octane requirement, volumetric efficiency, and oil oxidation.
CitationWentworth, J., "Effect of Combustion Chamber Surface Temperature on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Concentration," SAE Technical Paper 710587, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710587.
- Daniel W. A. “Flame Quenching at the Walls of an Internal Combustion Engine.” Sixth Symposium (International) on Combustion New York Reinhold Publishing Corp. 1957 886
- Daniel W. A. Wentworth J. T. “Exhaust Gas Hydrocarbons-Genesis and Exodus.” Published in SAE Technical Progress Series 6 “Vehicle Emissions,” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964
- Friedman R. Johnston W. C. “The Wall-Quenching of Laminar Propane Flames as a Function of Pressure, Temperature and Air-Fuel Ratio.” J. Applied Physics 21 1950 791
- Eichelberg G. “Some New Investigations on Old Combustion-Engine Problems, Part 1.” Engineering 148 1939 463
- Overbye V. D. Bennethum J. E. Uyehara O. E. Myers P. S. “Unsteady Heat Transfer in Engines.” SAE Transactions 69 1961 461
- Huls T. A. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Spark-Ignition Engine Operation and Design for Minimum Exhaust Emission.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660405
- LeFeuvre T. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Experimental Instantaneous Heat Fluxes in a Diesel Engine and Their Correlation.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690464
- Bendersky D. “A Special Thermocouple for Measuring Transient Temperatures.” Mech. Eng. 75 1953 117
- Wentworth J. T. “Piston and Ring Variables Affect Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680109
- Wentworth J. T. “The Piston Crevice Volume Effect on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emission.” Combustion Science and Technology 4 2 October 1971
- Kabel R. H. Bennett P. A. “Engine Oil Test Sequences IIA and IIIA.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 937
- Daniel W. A. “Why Engine Variables Affect Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emission.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700108
- Potter, A. E. Jr. “Flame Quenching.” Progress in Combustion Science and Technology 1 New York Pergamon Press 1960 174
- Gottenberg W. G. Olson D. R. Best H. W. “Flame Quenching During High Pressure, High Turbulence Combustion.” Combustion and Flame 7 1963 9
- Stivender D. L. “Intake Valve Throttling (IVT)-A Sonic Throttling Intake Valve Engine.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680399
- Brokaw R. S. Gerstein M. “Correlations of Burning Velocity, Quenching Distances, and Minimum Ignition Energies for Hydrocarbon-Oxygen-Nitrogen Systems.” Sixth Symposium (International) on Combustion New York Reinhold Publishing Corp. 1957 66
- Rounds F. G. Bennett P. A. Nebel G. J. “Some Effects of Engine-Fuel Variables on Exhaust-Gas Hydrocarbon Content.” SAE Transactions 63 1955 591
- Daniel W. A. “Engine Variable Effects on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Composition.” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670124
- Beckman E. W. Fagley W. S. Sarto J. O. “Exhaust Emission Control by Chrysler-The Cleaner Air Package.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660107
- Obert E. F. Internal Combustion Engines Third Scranton, Pa. International Textbook Co. 1970
- Bradish J. P. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Effects of Deposit Properties on Volumetric Efficiency, Heat Transfer and Preignition in Internal Combustion Engines.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660130
- Huls T. A. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Spark Ignition Engine Operation and Design for Minimum Exhaust Emission.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660405