This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a High Tip Speed Radial Turbine System for a Small Turboalternator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design and rig development of a 1970 fps tip speed radial turbine, volute, combustor, and exhaust as an integrated system is discussed. The components form the hot section of a United States Army turboshaft engine for powering portable electrical generator sets in the 30, 45, 60 kw range. Aero-thermodynamic design highlights, rig testing, and modifications necessary to meet design objectives are covered.
|Technical Paper||Afterburners and Variable Nozzles|
|Technical Paper||Fuel Properties and Jet-Engine Combustor Performance|
|Technical Paper||A METHOD FOR CORRECTING EXISTING JET ENGINE PERFORMANCE|
CitationRogo, C., "Development of a High Tip Speed Radial Turbine System for a Small Turboalternator," SAE Technical Paper 710552, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710552.
- Horton J. H., Montgomery J. E., and Mc-Govern W. F., “Operation of Small Industrial Gas Turbines on Military Fuels.” Paper 63-767D Presented at SAE Combined National Powerplant and Transportation Meetings, Chicago, October 1963.
- “Model TS 120 Turboshaft Engine Program Final Technical Report.” Contract DA-44-009-AMC-760 (T), Teledyne/CAE Report No. 1161, AD-481-384L, Sept. 1970.
- Eckert B., “Axial kompressoren and Radial kompressoren.” Berlin/Gottingen/Heidelberg: Springer - Verlag, (1953).
- Moody L. F., “Friction Factors for Pipe Flow.” Transactions ASME Vol. 66, (1944) p. 671.
- Benedict R. P. and Carlucci N. A., “Flow with Losses.” ASME Paper 63-WA-105, (1963).
- Balje O. E., “A Study on Design Criteria and Matching of Turbomachines.” Parts A and B, ASME Papers 60-WA-230, 60-WA-231.
- Wood H. J., “Current Technology of Radial-Inflow Turbines for Compressible Fluids.” ASME Paper 62-GTP-9.
- Wu, “A General Theory of Three-Dimensional Flow in Subsonic and Supersonic Turbomachines of Axial-, Radial-, and Mixed-Flow Types.” NACA TN 2604, January 1952.
- Northern Research and Engineering Corporation, Cambridge, Mass. “The Design and Performance Analysis of Radial-Inflow Turbines.” Vols. I and II, NREC Report No. 1067-1,(1964).
- Zweifel O., “The Spacing of Turbomachine Blading, Especially With Large Angular Deflection.” The Brown Boveri Review, Vol. 32, (1945) pp. 436-444.
- Faulders, C. R., “An Aerodynamic Investigation of Vaned Diffusers for Centrifugal Compressors.” Gas Turbine Laboratory, M. I. T.; ASTIA No. AD 107717.
- Committee A-9, “Aircraft Air Conditioning Equipment, Engineering Data Fluid Dynamics.” SAE Aeronautical Information Report No. 23, October 15, 1951.