This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Human Engineering and the Cost-Effectiveness of Air-Safety Devices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple mathematical model was developed to estimate benefit-to-cost ratios of alternative safety devices. The “Benefit” is the expected decrease in accident losses, while “Cost” includes the expense of the device plus maintenance and useful load penalty. This model permits the manufacturers and operators to select the most effective items. Realizing that the majority of accidents involve pilot error, the strong and weak points of contemporary cockpit design are described. Several human engineering improvements are proposed.
CitationDiehl, A., "Human Engineering and the Cost-Effectiveness of Air-Safety Devices," SAE Technical Paper 710487, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710487.
- Bruce J. Draper J. “Crash Safety in General Aviation,” Nader Student Group Washington, D. C. 1969
- Hunter G. S. “Seat Makers Emphasize Reduced Weight.” Av. Wk. Dec. 18 1967 39 48
- Pearson R. G. “Human Factors Aspects of Lightplane Safety.” FAA CARI Report 63-65 1963
- Dousset C. “Hazard Analyses During Design of Concorde.” 22nd International Air Safety Seminar Montreaux, Switzerland October 1969
- Little A. D. “Cost-Effectiveness in Traffic Safety.” New York Praeger Pub. 1969
- Census of U.S. Civil Aircraft FAA Dec. 31 1965
- Census of U.S. Civil Aircraft FAA Dec. 31 1968
- Lender J. et al “Development of Techniques for Estimating the Cost of General Aviation Accidents.” FAA SRDA Report RD66-18 July 1966
- “Aircraft Design-Induced Pilot Error.” NTSB July 1967
- Seymour M. O. “How's Your Id, Kid?” Air Facts March 1970 58 60
- FitzSimons J. M. “Liability for Product Defects Extend to Engineering Design.” SAE Journal 78 June 1970 35 37
- Lee R. E. “Caveat Vendor.” Product Eng May 11 1970
- Wise C. E. “Products Liability.” Machine Design March 28 1968 20 44
- Curron W. J. “Defective Design-Tort Action, Trauma and the Automobile.” Cincinnati Anderson 1966
- FitzSimons “Defective Design-Tort Action, Trauma and the Automobile.” Cincinnati Anderson 1966
- “Human Factors Are Key to Design Case in Court.” Prod. Eng. Aug. 3 1970 22
- Klein S. “Unreasonably Dangerous Products.” Machine Design Oct. 15 1970 32 41