This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dispersion Modeling of Airport Pollution
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the procedures followed in developing and validating computer models of air pollution caused by airports. Such dispersion models are used to calculate how the pollution emitted from the many contributing sources spreads to affect surrounding areas. This simulation permits a realistic evaluation of possible alternative strategies for air pollution abatement.
The basic elements of a modeling problem are seen to be the emission sources, the meteorology, and the dispersion parameters; current methods for handling each of these are explained. The treatment of a sample airport is described, and typical results are presented. Finally, the paper indicates some of the areas in which limited knowledge affects the implementation or accuracy of airport dispersion modeling.
CitationMilford, N., McCoyd, G., Aronowitz, L., and Scanlon, J., "Dispersion Modeling of Airport Pollution," SAE Technical Paper 710325, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710325.
- Thomas F. W. Carpenter S. B. Colbaugh W. C. “Plume Rise Estimates for Electric Generating Stations.” Jrnl. Air Pollut. Control Assoc. 20 March 1970 170 177
- Heywood J. B. Fay J. A. Linden L. H. “Jet Aircraft Air Pollutant Production and Dispersion.” AIAA paper 70-115 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting New York January 1970
- Milford N. McCoyd G. C. Aronowitz L. Scanlon J. H. “Air Pollution by Airports.” Institute of Environmental Sciences Annual Meeting Boston April 1970
- McElroy J. L. Pooler, F. Jr. “St. Louis Dispersion Study, Vol. II-Analysis.” National Air Pollution Control Administration Publication AP-53 U.S. Department of Health Education, and Welfare December 1968
- Turner D. B. “Workbook of Atmospheric Dispersion Estimates.” Public Health Service Publication 999-AP-26 National Air Pollution Control Administration, U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare 1969
- “Nature and Control of Aircraft Engine Exhaust Emissions.” Northern Research and Engineering Corp. Report 1134 November 1968
- George R. E. Burlin R. M. “Air Pollution from Commercial Jet Aircraft in Los Angeles County.” Los Angeles Air Pollution Control District Report April 1960
- George R. E. Verssen J. A. Chass R. L. “Jet Aircraft: A Growing Pollution Source.” Jrnl. Air Pollut. Control Assoc. 19 November 1969 847 855
- Spater G. A. “Environmental Pollution-A Decade for Action.” American Management Association Meeting New York May 1970
- “Aviation Forecasts, Fiscal Years 1968-1979.” Federal Aviation Administration January 1968
- Bastress E. K. Fletcher R. S. “Aircraft Engine Exhaust Emissions.” Paper No. 69-WA/APC-4 ASME Winter Annual Meeting Los Angeles November 1969
- “Nature and Control of Aircraft Engine Exhaust Emissions.” Report of the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare to the U. S. Congress December 1968
- Fay J. A. “Air Pollution from Future Giant Jetports.” Paper 70-78 Air Pollution Control Association Annual Meeting St. Louis June 1970
- Hochheiser S. Lozano E. R. “Air Pollution Emissions from Jet Aircraft Operating in New York Metropolitan Area.” Paper 680339 SAE Air Transportation Meeting New York April 29 May 2 1968
- Lozano E. R. Melvin, W. W. Jr. Hochheiser S. “Air Pollution Emissions from Jet Engines.” Jrnl. Air Pollut. Control Assoc. 18 June 1968 392 394
- Moses H. “Mathematical Urban Air Pollution Models.” Paper 69-31 Air Pollution Control Association Annual Meeting New York June 1969
- Nolan M. “A Survey of Air Pollution in Communities Around the John F. Kennedy International Airport.” Public Health Service, U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare June 1966
- Soo S. L. “Effect of Simultaneous Diffusion and Fallout-A Modified Sutton Equation.” Paper 70-81 Air Pollution Control Association Annual Meeting St. Louis, June 1970
- Stern A. C. “Air Pollution.” New York Academic Press 1968