This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Analytical Scavenging Studies on a Two-Cycle Opposed Piston Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As part of a general program of work on opposed piston compression ignition engines operating at high output, it was considered that the scavenging of the engine merited separate attention. Scavenging is of vital importance in the achievement of high output and no information on the operation of opposed piston engines at high boost was available. Further, some idea of the scavenging efficiency was needed for theoretical work proceeding in parallel with the experimental investigation. For the two reasons given above, it was decided that the scavenging of the opposed piston engine operating at elevated pressure should be examined experimentally and an attempt made to relate the measurements to the various theoretical models available.
An introduction to scavenging theory will be given, followed by a discussion of experimental methods. A description of the apparatus and a comparison between experimental results and the various theoretical models will complete the paper.
|Technical Paper||DESIGN FEATURES OF AN OPPOSED PISTON DIESEL ENGINE, 300 - 750 HP|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation on Two Stroke Engines Scavenging Models|
|Technical Paper||The Napier Deltic Diesel Engine|
CitationWallace, F. and Cave, P., "Experimental and Analytical Scavenging Studies on a Two-Cycle Opposed Piston Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 710175, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710175.
- Wallace F. J. Langdell P. V. “Theoretical and Experimental Analysis of Air and Gas Flows in a Crankcase Scavenged Two-Stroke Engine Employing Boost Ports.” Paper 690134 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit January 1969
- Krieger R. B. Booy R. R. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Simulation of a Crankcase Scavenged, Two-Stroke, SI Engine and Comparisons with Experimental Data.” Paper 690315 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit January 1969
- Komotori K. Watanabe E. “A Study of the Delivery Ratio Characteristics of Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engines.” Paper 690136 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit January 1969
- Nagao F. Shimamoto Y. “The Effect of Crankcase Volume and the Inlet System on the Delivery Ratio of Two-Stroke Cycle Engines.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670030
- Rizk W. “Experimental Studies of the Mixing Processes and Flow Configurations in Two-Cycle Engine Scavenging.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 172 10 1958
- Sammons H. “A Single-Cycle Test Apparatus for Studying ‘Loop Scavenging’ in a Two-Stroke Engine.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 161 1949
- Wallace F. J. Nassif M. H. “Air Flow in a Naturally Aspirated Two-Stroke Engine.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 168 18 1954
- Benson R. S. Galloway K. “An Experimental and Analytical Investigation of the Gas Exchange Process in a Multi-Cylinder Pressure-Charged Two-Stroke Engine.” Proc. Inst. of Mechanical Engineers 183 14 1968-1969
- Schweitzer P. H. “Scavenging of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines.” New York The Macmillan Co 1949
- Taylor C. F. Rogowski A. R. “Scavenging the Two-Stroke Engine. Experience at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.” SAE Transactions 62 1954
- Benson R. S. Brandham P. T. “A Method of Obtaining a Quantitative Assessment of the Influence of Charging Efficiency on Two-Stroke Engine Performance.” Int JMech Sci 11 1969 303 312
- Winterbone D. E. Wallace F. J. “Performance Prediction for Very High Output Two and Four Stroke Engines Using a Generalised Computer Program.” 1970
- Smyth R. Wallace F. J. “Comparative Performance Assessment by Digital Computers of Various Compression Ignition Engine Configurations in Combination with Compressors and Turbines.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 181 12 London 1966-1967
- Hori K. “A Method of Measuring Scavenging Efficiency and its Application.” Bulletin of JSME 5 18 1962 327
- Bazika V. Rödig J. “A New Method of Determining the Scavenging Efficiency of Oil Engine Cylinders.” Engineer's Digest 24 3 1963
- Isigami S. “On Scavenging of the Crank Case Compression Type Two-Stroke Diesel Engine.” Bulletin JSME 6 26 1936 531