This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation of the Adjustable Element Concept for Design of Automotive Exhaust Mufflers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The feasibility of employing a muffler with adjustable internal elements as an aid for design of production automotive exhaust mufflers is investigated. Design and internal geometry of the muffler are described and illustrated. Equipment and methods for measuring the acoustic reflection and transmission characteristics of the muffler for various adjustments and pure tone frequencies are presented. Results are analyzed and compared with performance data obtained when the source of sound is simulated engine exhaust noise. The value of the adjustable element concept for design of automotive mufflers, and the relative merits of pure tone and exhaust spectrum analyses, are discussed.
|Technical Paper||Relation Between the Predominance of Acoustic Resonance Noise and Air Flow in Muffler|
|Technical Paper||Predicting the Acoustical Performance of Weak Paths in a Sound Package System|
CitationGatley, W. and Gegesky, P., "An Investigation of the Adjustable Element Concept for Design of Automotive Exhaust Mufflers," SAE Technical Paper 710166, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710166.
- Davis, D. D. Jr. Stokes G. M. Moore Dewey Stevens, G. L. Jr. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Mufflers with Comments on Engine-Exhaust Muffler Design,” Nat'l Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, Report No. 1192 1954
- Noise Control “Special Report on Vehicular Noise,” 2 3 May 1956
- Harris Cyril M. Handbook of Noise Control New York McGraw-Hill 1957
- Igarashi J. Toyama M. “Fundamentals of Acoustical Silencers (I),” Aeronautical Research Institute, University of Tokyo, Report No. 339 1958
- Miwa T. Igarashi J. “Fundamentals of Acoustical Silencers (II),” Aeronautical Research Institute, University of Tokyo, Report No. 344 1959
- Martz A. F. Martin J. L. Danielson W. R. “Acoustical Testing of Mufflers,” ASHRAE Preprint 1959
- Miller D. F. Hatten B. W. “Muffler Analysis by Digital Computer,” Trans. ASHRAE 66 202 16 1960
- Wallace F. J. “Pulsation Damping Systems for Large Reciprocating Compressors and Free-Piston Gas Generators,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. 174 33 885 915 1960
- Grover S. S. “Analysis of Pressure Pulsations in Reciprocating Compressor Piping Systems,” Jour. Engr. for Industry 88B 2 194 71 May 1966
- Holmes F. A. Miller D. F. “An Analysis of Expansion Chamber Mufflers Containing Acoustic Absorbing Materials,” ASHRAE Preprint 1968
- Gegesky P. S. “An Investigation of the Adjustable Element Concept for Design of Automotive Exhaust Mufflers,” University of Missouri-Rolla 1970
- Gatley W. S. “Development and Evaluation of Methods for Design of Mufflers in Small Refrigeration Systems,” Purdue University 1967