This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
What the Designer Should Know About Fracture Mechanics Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews some typical specimen designs, procedures, and important variables involved in fracture mechanics testing. Measurement of fracture mechanics quantities that characterize fast unstable fracture, stress-corrosion cracking, and fatigue are discussed. Some procedures are outlined by which laboratory measurements may be used to estimate quantitatively a material's suitability for particular service applications and its influence on subsequent inspection requirements.
CitationSinclair, G., "What the Designer Should Know About Fracture Mechanics Testing," SAE Technical Paper 710152, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710152.
- Gallagher J.P. “What the Designer Should Know About Fracture Mechanics Fundamentals.” Paper 710151 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Paris P.C. Sih G.C. “Fracture Toughness Testing and Its Applications.” ASTM STP 381 Am. Soc. Testing Mats. 1965
- Brown, W.F. Jr. Srawley J.E. “Plane Strain Fracture Toughness Testing and High Strength Metallic Materials.” ASTM STP 410 Am. Soc. Testing Mats. 1966
- Liebowitz H. “Fracture.” New York Academic Press
- Brown, W.F. Jr. “Review of Developments in Plane Strain Fracture Toughness Testing.” ASTM STP 463 Am. Soc. Testing Mats. 1970
- Irwin G.R. Kies J.A. “Critical Energy Rate Analysis of Fracture Strength.” Welding J. Res. Suppl. 33 1954 193
- Gross B. Srawley J.E. “Stress Intensity Factors for Single Edge Notch Specimens in Bending or Combined Bending and Tension by Boundary Collocation of a Stress Function.” NASA January 1965
- Gross B. Srawley J.E. “Stress Intensity Factors for Three Point Bend Specimens by Boundary Collocation.” NASA December 1965
- Manjoine M.J. “Biaxial Brittle Fracture Tests.” Paper 64-MET-3 ASME Meeting May 1964
- ASTM Standards “Proposed Method of Test for Plane Strain Fracture Toughness with Metallic Materials.” 1969
- Srawley J. Jones M. Brown, W.F. Jr. “Determination of Plane Strain Fracture Toughness.” Mat. Res. Stand. 7 6 1967 262
- Brown B.F. “A New Stress-Corrosion Cracking Test for High Strength Alloys.” Mat. Res. Stand. 6 129 March 1966
- Johnson H.H. Paris P.C. “Sub-Critical Flaw Growth.” J. Eng. Fracture Mech. 1 1 June 1968 3 45
- Novak S.R. “Effect of Plastic Strain on the K Iscc of HY-80, HY-130 (T) and 12 Ni-5Cr-3Mo Steels.” January 1 1968
- Barsom J. M. Rolfe S. T. “Fatigue and Burst Analysis of HY-140 (T) Steel Pressure Vessels.” ASME paper 68 PVP-5 September 1968
- Paris P. C. “The Fracture Mechanics Approach to Fatigue.” Proc. Tenth Sagamore Army Materials Research Conference August 13-16 1963 Syracuse Syracuse University Press 1964
- Crooker T.W. Lange E. A “Corrosion Crack Propagation in Ti-6A1-4V Under Static and Cyclic Loading.” Report of Naval Research Laboratory Progress February 1968
- Crooker T. W. Lange E. A. “The Influence of Salt Water on Fatigue Crack Growth in High-Strength Structural Steels.” symposium on “Influence of Environment on Fatigue,” ASTM Fall Meeting Atlanta September 29 October 4 1968
- Crooker T. W. Lange E. A. “The Influence of Yield Strength and Fracture Toughness on Fatigue Design Procedures for Structural Steels,” NRL Report 7036 Naval Research Laboratories February 19 1970 Washington, D.C.
- Barsom J. M. Imhof, E. J. Jr. Rolfe S. T. “Fatigue Crack Propagation in High-Strength Steels.” J. Eng. Fracture Mech. December 20 1968
- Wei R. P. Landes J. D. “Correlation Between Sustained-Load and Fatigue Crack Growth in High Strength Steels.” Mat. Res. Stand. July 1968 25
- Gallagher J. P. Sinclair G. M. “Environmentally Assisted Fatigue Crack Growth Rates in SAE 4340 Steel.” Trans. ASME, J. Basic Eng. 91 4 December 1969 598 602
- Irwin G. R. “Crack Extension Force for a Part Through Crack in a Plate.” J. Appl. Mech. 84E 4 December 1962
- Kobayashi A.S. “On the Magnification Factors of Deep Surface Flaws.” Structural Development Research Memorandum No. 16 The Boeing Co. December 1965
- Smith F. W. “Stress Intensity Factors for a Semi-Elliptical Surface Flaw.” Structural Development Research Memorandum No. 27 The Boeing Co. August 1966
- Sinclair G. M. Rolfe S. T. “Analytical Procedure for Relating Subcritical Crack Growth to Inspection Requirements.” January 2 1969