This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measuring the Trapping Efficiency of Internal Combustion Engines Through Continuous Exhaust Gas Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A practical method to determine conveniently the effective cylinder charge in an internal combustion engine through a continuous exhaust gas analysis is described. For gasoline engines, the oxygen content of the exhaust gas is monitored and for diesel engines, n-butane is used as a tracer gas. The method can be used on 2-stroke and 4-stroke cycle engines.
The theoretical basis of the method is discussed and the limits of the application are shown. Actual test results obtained with test engines, which were especially prepared for zero scavenging and for controlled scavenging with air only or with an air/fuel mixture, are quoted.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Development of Two New Types of Double Piston Engines|
|Technical Paper||Near-Wall Velocity Characteristics in Valved and Ported Motored Engines|
CitationHuber, E., "Measuring the Trapping Efficiency of Internal Combustion Engines Through Continuous Exhaust Gas Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 710144, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710144.
- List H. Springer, Wien 1950
- List H. Springer, Wien 1939
- Schmidt E. Springer, Berlin 1958
- D'Alleva B. A. Lovell W. G. “Relation of Exhaust Gas Composition to Air-Fuel Ratio.” SAE Transactions 38 1936
- Schweitzer P. H. DeLuca F. “The Tracer Gas Method of Determining the Charging Efficiency of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines.” NACA Techn. Note 838 Jan. 1942
- Schweitzer P. H. “Scavenging of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines.” The Macmillan Co. New York 1949
- Huber E. W. 1942
- Taylor C. R. Rogowski A. R. “Scavenging the Two-Stroke Engine.” SAE Transactions 62 1954
- Groth K. MTZ 17 1956 8 265
- Groth K. Dusseldorf 1959
- Riedl M. Munchen 1961
- Wirwoll B. 1962
- Asanuma T. Yanagihara S. “Gas Sampling Valve for Measuring Scavenging Efficiency in High-Speed Two-Stroke Engines.” SAE Transactions 70 1962 paper T-47
- Isigami S. Tanaka Y. “The Trapping Efficiency Measurement of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine by Tracer Gas Method.” Bulletin of ISME 6 1963 524
- Luther H. Ihrig H. Lies H. 10 1963 262
- Bazika Vl. Rodig J. 2 1963 53
- Greiner M. Berlin 1967
- Greifer B. Friedmann R. “How Automobile Exhaust Burn.” Ing. Engng. Chem. 51 1959 953
- Kraft D. 1966
- Zander W. 6 11 1967
- Schweitzer Grunder “Hybrid Engines.” SAE Transactions 70 1963 paper 549A
- Mitsubishi “Technical Review,” 7 3 1970