This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cylinder Gas Composition of Small 2-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a 2-stroke cycle crankcase-scavenged gasoline engine, the compositions of cylinder gas and exhaust gas were investigated by analysis of the sampled gas extracted from the cylinder and exhaust pipe. As is well known, the combustion process taking place in a 2-stroke cycle gasoline engine has cycle-by-cycle variations. In this study, a new method controlling the operation of the sampling valve was applied, which enabled us to select cycles showing the same peak pressure and to extract a combustion gas produced by the similar combustion process.
From these data the following were confirmed:
For estimating the composition of combustion gases, simple equations of combustion reactions are available.
The most reliable values estimating the scavenging properties may be calculated from the change of O2 concentrations of sampled gases before and after scavenging.
It is necessary to select the gas sampling cycle by the cylinder pressure, because the scavenging process is affected by the combustion process in the preceding cycle.
No remarkable uneven local composition is observed at the time of spark ignition.
CitationOhigashi, S. and Hamamoto, Y., "Cylinder Gas Composition of Small 2-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 710143, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710143.
- Higashino I. “A New Electromagnetic Gas Sampling Valve.” Bulletin of Japan Society of Mech. Engrs. 4 15 1961 591 598
- Asanuma T. Yanagihara S. “Gas Sampling Valve for Measuring Scavenging Efficiency in High-Speed Two-Stroke Engines.” SAE Transactions 70 1962 paper T-47
- Miyabe H. Shimomura T. “Measurement of Trapping Efficiencies of a Two-Stroke Engine.” Trans. of Japan Soc. of Mech. Engrs. 22 192 August 1962 1006 1016
- Ohigashi S. Kitao M. “Scavenging Efficiency of a Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine.” Trans. of Japan Soc. of Mech. Engrs. 27 183 November 1961 1883 1891
- Asanuma T. Kikuchi E. Yanagihara S. “Study on Electro-Magnetic Gas Sampling Valve. (II).” Jrl. of Mech. Lab. (Japan) 15 3 1961 96 110