This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The equations of motion for a tractor-semitrailer vehicle, in which both the tractor and semitrailer can pitch, roll, yaw and translate, are derived and solved numerically in their nonlinear form for steering and braking inputs. The linearized equations are also determined and solved for comparison with the nonlinear model. The results demonstrate the occurrence of jackknifing of the nonlinear model, even without the application of braking forces, for certain steering inputs while the linearized model is stable. Violent jackknifing caused by braking is found to take place in the nonlinear model whenever braking forces at the rear tractor wheels are of sufficient magnitude to limit or reduce the side forces occurring there; locking of the wheels is not required. Jackknifing can not always be prevented by damping (short of locking) at the hitch, but the action can be slowed down considerably.
CitationMikulcik, E., "The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem," SAE Technical Paper 710045, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710045.
- Jindra F., “Tractor and Semi-Trailer Handling,” Automobile Engineer, Vol. 53 (1963) pp. 438-446.
- Ellis J. R., “The Ride and Handling of Semi-Trailer Articulated Vehicles,” Automobile Engineer, Vol. 56 (1966) pp. 523-529.
- Hales F. D., “The Lateral Stability of a Simplified Articulated Vehicle,” Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering, Proceedings, London 1963.
- Ellis J. R., “The Dynamics of Vehicles During Braking,” Symposium on Control of Vehicles During Braking and Cornering, Proceedings, London 1963.
- Mikulcik E. C., “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem,” Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., June 1968.
- Radt H. S., and Milliken W. J., “Motions of Skidding Automobiles,” Paper 205A presented at SAE Summer Meeting, Chicago, June 1960.