This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tolerance and Properties of Superficial Soft Tissues In Situ
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Utilizing unembalmed cadaver test subjects, a series of tests was carried out to characterize quantitatively the resistance of the skin, the soft underlying tissue of the scalp, and certain other typical areas of the body to impact loading. The impacts were delivered by the use of an instrumented free-fall device similar to that previously employed for facial bone fracture experiments. In one group of tests, metal and glass edges were affixed to the impacting device to produce localized trauma under conditions which were standardized with respect to variables affecting the degree of the injury. In the second group of experiments, specimens of skin, together with underlying tissue of uniform thickness, were subjected to compressive impact between the parallel surfaces of the impacting weight and a heavy metal platen. From these latter experiments the force-time histories, coefficient of restitution, and hysteresis loops of load versus deflection were obtained for the specimens. It is suggested that the data obtained should be applicable to the evaluation of soft tissue injury hazard in accidents and to the appraisal of artificial soft tissue simulations for impact headforms and anthropometric dummies.
|Technical Paper||Hip Flexion Requirements for Adult Dummies|
|Technical Paper||Mechanical Necks with Humanlike Responses|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Axial Tolerance of the Human Foot-Ankle Complex|
CitationGadd, C., Nahum, A., Schneider, D., and Madeira, R., "Tolerance and Properties of Superficial Soft Tissues In Situ," SAE Technical Paper 700910, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700910.
- Gadd C. W., Nahum A. M., Gatts James D., and Danforth J. P., “A Study of Head and Facial Bone Impact Tolerances.” Proceedings of General Motors Automotive Safety Seminar, Milford, Mich., July 1968.
- Gadd C. W., Lange W. A., and Peterson F. J., “Strength of Skin and its Measurement.” Biomechanics Monograph, ASME, New York, 1967.
- Nahum A. M., Gatts James D., Gadd C. W., and Danforth J. P., “Impact Tolerance of the Skull and Face”, Twelfth Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, P-26, paper 680785. New York: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1968.
- Fuller Peter and Huelke Donald, “Skin Puncture Tests.” Vol. IV, App. F, Interim Report on Contract PH-43-67-1136, Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan, 1968.
- Yamada H., “Human Biomechanics.” Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan, 1963.