This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Emulsified Fuels and Water Induction on Diesel Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Water was inducted with the intake air and injected emulsified with the fuel, in a conventional single cylinder D.I. diesel engine. The major effects of inducted water were an increase in ignition delay, and reduction in the oxides of nitrogen and smoke at a constant fuel/air ratio. When the water was emulsified with the fuel, the ignition delay increased so much that no benefits were obtained except for a reduction in smoke.
The results are compared to a similar study on an engine with the “M” combustion system. The major differences between the results obtained with the two combustion systems are attributed to the differences in the ignition delay caused by the water addition.
CitationValdmanis, E. and Wulfhorst, D., "The Effects of Emulsified Fuels and Water Induction on Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 700736, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700736.
- McConnell G. “Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas: Their Formation and Control.” The Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 1 Birdcage Walk, Westminster, London, SW1
- Eyzat P. Guibet J. C. “A New Look at Nitrogen Oxides Formation in Internal Combustion Engines.” Paper 680124 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Newhall H. K. “Kinetics of Engine-Generated NO and CO.” 12 Symp. Combustion Institute 603
- Newhall H. K. Shaked S. M. “Kinetics of Nitric Oxide Formation in High Pressure Hydrogen-Air Flames.” 1970 Spring Mtg. Western States Section of the Combustion Institute
- Nickolls J. E. El-Messiri I. A. Newhall H. K. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides-Theory and Experiment.” Paper 690018 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Abthoff J. Luther H. “Die Messungen der Stickoxid-Emission von Dieselmotoren und ihre Beeinflussung durch Massnahmen am Motor.” Technische Universitat Clausthal, Germany
- Abthoff J. “Measurement and Variation of the Emission of Oxides of Nitrogen from Internal Combustion Engines by Measures Applied to the Engine and by Ancillary Devices.” Combustion Engine Research Association 79 1968
- Hühn W., “Russbildung bei der diesel-motorischen Verbrennung and Möglichkeiten ihrer Verminderung.” MTZ 31 3 March 1970
- a) “Continuous Hydrocarbon Analysis of Diesel Exhaust” b) “The Analysis of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust” Diesel Emissions Subcommittee of the SAE Automotive Emissions and Air Pollution Committee