This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Huey/Cobra M&R Field Program Results and Significance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The UH-1/AH-1 Maintainability and Reliability Program has been in operation for six years. This paper briefly reviews the concepts on which the program is based, and outlines the history of the program as background for the main theme of the paper--review and evaluation of the program to determine its validity for use in the future.
The data and analysis output of the program are evaluated in terms of their quality, quantity, and usefulness in making decisions which are significant in Army management of the UH-1/AH-1 production and logistics programs. Statistical tables and plots showing how pertinent factors have varied with time are used to demonstrate the degree to which the program has achieved its objectives of early identification and correction of reliability and maintainability problems.
Each M&R Program task is examined and the lessons learned from experience and the conclusions drawn are presented. This includes, in addition to the contract work statement tasks, the management functions of organization, staffing, training, and channels for decision making.
The scope of the program is evaluated, and the factors limiting it are discussed. The possibility of including additional tasks is considered and some possibilities are suggested. Conclusions drawn throughout the paper are summarized and recommendations are made for improving future M&R Field Programs for the next generation of Army helicopters.
CitationGean, J. and Knudsen, G., "The Huey/Cobra M&R Field Program Results and Significance," SAE Technical Paper 700590, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700590.
- Gean J. A. “New Techniques for Helicopter Reliability Control” Proceedings, American Helicopter Society 17th Annual National Forum Washington, D.C. May 3-5 1961
- Gean J. A. “Designing for Reliability Using the UH-1 M&R Field Program Data” Proceedings, NATO Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development (AGARD) Paris, France 10-14 January 1966
- Knudsen G. E. “Attacking Unreliability” Annals of Fifth Reliability and Maintainability Conference New York, N. Y. 18-20 July 1966
- Martin, S. Jr. Gean J. A. Nov/Dec 1966
- Gean J. A. Knudsen G. E. “Reliability and Maintainability ' Strengthening the Cobra's Strike” American Helicopter Society, Southwest Region Technical Meeting 23 January 1970