This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of Convective Heat Transfer for Steady Intake-Flow Through a Poppet Valve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
A simulated I.C. engine intake system composed of intake port, intake valve, and cylinder was used to obtain intake port heat transfer information. The effect of air direction and valve lift on the heat transfer from the hot intake valve to intake air was determined. It was found that a higher rate of heat transfer occurred at the same rate of flow, for a smaller inclination angle. Decreased valve lift was also found to yield a higher rate of heat transfer for the same flow.
CitationEngh, G. and Chiang, C., "Correlation of Convective Heat Transfer for Steady Intake-Flow Through a Poppet Valve," SAE Technical Paper 700501, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700501.
- Eichelberg G. “Some New Investigations on Old Combustion Engine Problems.” Engineering October 1939 463
- Annand W. J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines.” Proc. J. Mech. F. 177 36 1963
- Woshni G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine.” SAE Transactions 76 670931
- Borman G. Kapadia D. N. “The Effect of Heat Transfer on the Steady Flow Through a Poppet Valve.” SAE Transactions 76 670479
- Borman G. Goyal M. Scharpf G. “The Simulation of Single Cylinder Intake and Exhaust Systems.” SAE Transactions 76
- Rohsenow Choi “Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer.” Englewood Cliffs, N.J. Prentice Hall, Inc. 1961 181 186
- Taylor C. F. Livengood J. C. Rogowski A. R. “The Volumetric Efficiency of Four-Stroke Engines.” SAE Quarterly Transactions 6 4 1952
- Holman J. P. “Heat Transfer,” New York McGraw Hill 1968
- Forbes J. E. Taylor C. F. “Rise in Temperature of the Charge in its Passage Through the Inlet Valve and Port of an Air-Cooled Aircraft Engine Cylinder.” NACA Technical Note 839 1942
- Engh G. T. “Convective Heat Transfer from a Poppet Valve to Intake Air Flow of Various Approaching Directions.” M. S. Thesis Michigan Technological University 1968
- Annand W. J. D. “Experiments on a Model Simulating Heat Transfer Between the Inlet Valve of a Reciprocating Engine and the Entering Stream.” Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1968