This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Surface Temperature of Running Tires Using Infrared Scanning
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
An infrared line scanning system has been used to measure surface temperatures of automobile tires under operating conditions. A designed experiment was employed to demonstrate statistically the individual and interaction effects on tire temperature profiles of changes in tire speed, inflation pressure, and wheel load. These effects are different at different radial positions on a given tire and are quite dependent on tire construction, as illustrated by application to bias, belted-bias, and radial tires of comparable sizes.
CitationConant, F., Hall, G., and Walter, J., "Surface Temperature of Running Tires Using Infrared Scanning," SAE Technical Paper 700475, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700475.
- Sarbach D. V. Hallman R. W. Sudekum J. “High-Cis IR.” Rubber Age 101 November 1969 53 60
- Roberts G. B. “Power Wastage in Tires.” Proc. Int. Rubber Conf. Washington, D. C. November 1959 57 72
- Coddington D. M. Marsh W. D. “New Approach to Tire Durability Testing.” Rubber Chem. and Technol. 38 November 1965 741 756
- “Thermistor Takes Temperature of Running Tire.” National Bureau of Standards Technical News Bulletin 52 June 1968 119 120
- Stiehler R. D. Steel M. N. Richey G. C. Mandel J. Hobbs R. H. “Power Loss and Operating Temperature of Tires.” Proc. Int. Rubber Conf. Washington, D. C. November 1959 73 84
- Trivisonno N. M. “Thermal Analysis of a Rolling Tire.” Paper 700474 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1970
- Davisson J. A. “Technique for Evaluating Dynamic Tire Stresses.” Kautschuk and Gummi Kunststoffe 23 February 1970 67 72
- Del Gatto Joseph “Breakthrough Detects Tire Flaw.” Rubber World 161 October 1969 75 76
- Cori J. E. Schwall C. F. “Spinvision: A New Look at Dynamic Tire Temperature.” Paper 700473 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1970