This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Critical Evaluation of Assessment Methods for Head Impact Applied in Appraisal of Brain Injury Hazard, in Particular in Head Impact on Windshields
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For assessment of the hazard of “internal head injury” in head impact on a windshield, impact assessment methods according to C. W. Gadd (Gadd's hypothesis) and the Vienna Institute of Technology (Vienna hypothesis) are known. These methods are based on diametrically opposed concepts concerning the cerebral injury process. The respective assessment values of the two methods are Severity Index S and Tolerance Value J. Both methods relate assessment of an impact to the so-called Wayne State curve. The methods are examined as to their deviations from this curve and as to the comparability of results.
It appears that Tolerance Value J, which makes use of an analogy to the biological injury process in assessment, compared to Severity Index S results in better reproducibility of the Wayne State curve, is not subject to limitations concerning time duration of impact and has the
simpler (linear) assessment measure. For comparison of assessment results, the values of Severity Index S must undergo correction.
CitationSlattenschek, A. and Tauffkirchen, W., "Critical Evaluation of Assessment Methods for Head Impact Applied in Appraisal of Brain Injury Hazard, in Particular in Head Impact on Windshields," SAE Technical Paper 700426, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700426.
- Gadd C. W. Use of a Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard Proceedings, 10th Stapp Car Crash Conference New Mexico 1966
- Tauffkirchen W. Slattenschek A. Wien, Mai 1967
- Slattenschek A. 1968
- Patrick L. M. Lissner H. R. Gurdjian E. S. Survival by Design-Head Protection Proceedings, 7th Stapp Car Crash Conference Springfield 1963
- Eiband M. Shock and Vibration Handbook 3 43 44 1961
- Haynes L. Lissner H. Experimental Head Impact Studies Proceedings, 5th Stapp Car Crash Conference Minneapolis 1962
- Douglass J. M. Nahum A. M. Roberts S. B. Applications of Experimental Head Injury Research Proceeding, 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference Detroit 1968
- Hodgson V. R. Patrick L. M. Dynamic Response of the Human Cadaver Head Compared to a Simple Mathematical Model Proceedings, 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference Detroit 1968
- Sellier K. Unterharnscheidt F. Berlin 1963