This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes an analytical study of a commercial tractor-semitrailer vehicle which is subjected to various brake applications in a turn. A hybrid computer simulation of the vehicle is used to investigate the effect of loading condition, brake-torque distribution, brake application times, and load-sensitive brake-torque control on the directional response of the vehicle during braking.
CitationLeucht, P., "The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking," SAE Technical Paper 700371, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700371.
- Jindra F. “Tractor and Semi-Trailer Handling,” Automobile Engineer 53 October 1963 438 446
- Ellis J. R. “The Ride and Handling of Semi-Trailer Articulated Vehicles,” Automobile Engineer 56 December 1966 523 529
- Hales F. D. “The Lateral Stability of a Simplified Articulated Vehicle,” Symposium on the Control of Vehicles Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Automobile Division London 1963 54 65
- Hales F. D. “Lateral Stability Problems of Simply Articulated Vehicles,” International Union of Theoretical Mechanics Symposium 1965 17 34
- Schmid I. “Engineering Approach to Truck and Tractor Train Stability,” Paper No. 670006 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Hales F. D. Barter N. F. Slack I. R. Skinner M. J. “The Handling and Stability of Motor Vehicles, Part 3,” Motor Industry Research Association 1965
- Bundorf R. T. “Directional Control Dynamics of Automobile-Travel Trailer Combinations,” Paper No. 670009 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Ellis J. R. “The Dynamics of Vehicles During Braking,” Symposium on the Control of Vehicles Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Automobile Division London 1963 20 29
- Mikulcik E. C. “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem,” Graduate School of Cornell University for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy June 1968
- Nordeen D. L. “Analysis of Tire Lateral Forces and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data,” Paper No. 670173 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Ginn J. L. Marlowe R. L. “Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory,” Paper No. 670493 SAE Midyear Meeting Chicago May 1967
- Morse R. J. “Brake Balance - It Can Be Improved,” Paper No. 660398 SAE Midyear Meeting Detroit June 1966
- Rouse J. A. “The Distribution of Braking on Road Vehicles,” Symposium on the Control of Vehicles Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Automobile Division London 1963 80 90