This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Engine Intake-Air Moisture on Exhaust Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As atmospheric humidity increases, the emission of NO from automobiles decreases. This effect is so large that a factor for correcting observed NO to some standard humidity is desirable. Emission tests were conducted at 76 F and at four humidities on a fleet of eight passenger cars, in accordance with the Federal Test Cycle. A derived equation relates the concentration of NO (measured by continuous trace analysis in accordance with the proposed 1971 California procedure) to differences in air moisture at the time of the test. Factors are also included to correct NO concentrations measured during other types of operation and to correct hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions measured during a Federal Cycle.
CitationBrown, W., Gendernalik, S., Kerley, R., and Marsee, F., "Effect of Engine Intake-Air Moisture on Exhaust Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 700107, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700107.
- 31 61 March 30 1966
- Nakajima K. Shinoda K. Onoda K. “Experiments on Effects of Atmospheric Conditions on the Performance of an Automotive Gasoline Engine.” Paper 690166 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Private communication Chrysler Corporation 1961
- Nicholls J. E. El-Messiri I. A. Newhall H. K. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides-Theory and Experiment.” Paper 690018 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1969
- Spindt R. S. “Air Fuel Ratios from Exhaust Gas Analysis.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650507
- Eltinge Lamont Marsee F. J. Warren A. J. “Potentialities of Further Emissions Reduction by Engine Modifications.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680123
- Eltinge Lamont “Fuel Air Ratio and Distribution from Exhaust Gas Composition.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680114
- Jackson M. W. “Effects of Some Engine Variables and Control Systems on Composition and Reactivity of Exhaust Hydrocarbons.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660404
- Nicholls J. E. El Messiri I. A. Newhall H. K. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides-Theory and Experiment.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690018