This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Advanced Radiotracer Technique for Assessing and Plotting Oil Consumption in Diesel and Gasoline Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A radiotracer method for measuring engine oil consumption, using tritium as the tracer element, has been adapted for use in both gasoline and diesel engines. The method is rapid, accurate, versatile, and almost totally free from radiological hazard. A digital computer with plotter has been programmed to produce a unique oil consumption “map” over the effective engine operating range. Such a map will indicate at a glance the areas of operation requiring improvement from an oil consumption standpoint. Some interesting observations have also been made of transient oil consumption phenomena.
CitationWarrick, F. and Dykehouse, R., "An Advanced Radiotracer Technique for Assessing and Plotting Oil Consumption in Diesel and Gasoline Engines," SAE Technical Paper 700052, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700052.
- Starkman E. S., “A Radioactive Study of Lubricating Oil Consumption.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 69 (1961), paper 194B.
- Pobereskin M., Sunderman D. N., and Fithian E. J., “A Study, Using Radioactive Lubricating Oil, of the Rate of Oil Consumption in an Operating Diesel Engine.” ASME Paper 58-A-143, December 1958.
- Quigg H. T., “Means of Studying Oil Consumption in an Engine.” U.S. Patent No. 2,957,986, filed April 1955 and issued October 1960.
- Mayer W. J., Moore C. P., Krause D. P., Lange W. H., Murphy C. B., and Klepaczyk J. J., “Rapid, Precise Measurement of Engine Oil Economy by a Radiometric Method.” Paper 660058 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1966.
- Knop R. C., “Evaluation of a Radiometric Method of Determining Engine Oil Economy.” Paper 690155; presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1969.
- Caretto L. S. and Starkman E. S., “A Tracer Method for Study of Exhaust Hydrocarbons-Combustion of Fuel-Oil Mixtures in a Wankel Engine.” Paper 680112 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1968.