This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation, Duplication, and Synthesis of Fatigue Load Histories
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1970 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Load spectrum testing is an advance toward the ultimate purpose of fatigue testing, that is, prediction of life in advance of service. The relative merits of the three basic approaches to load spectrum testing, the Programmed Fatigue Test, the Service Duplication Test, and the Random Load Spectrum Test, are discussed and compared to the conventional Constant Amplitude Test technique.
Practical examples from car and truck engineering are given for each of the three test techniques, and a general introduction to the new test concept of random load spectrum testing is included.
Advantages cited are: good correlation to service life, low scatter of results, and reduction of overall test time. Detailed knowledge of service load histories is required, as is test machinery with suitable frequency response.
CitationJaeckel, H., "Simulation, Duplication, and Synthesis of Fatigue Load Histories," SAE Technical Paper 700032, 1970, https://doi.org/10.4271/700032.
- Manson S. S. “Interfaces Between Fatigue, Creep and Fracture.” International J. of Fracture Mechanics 2 1 1966 327 363
- Gassner E. Schuetz W. “Evaluating Vital Vehicle Components by Programme Fatigue Test.” Ninth International Automobile Technical Congress FISITA, London 1962 London
- Schijve J. “The Analysis of Random Load-Time Histories with Relation to Fatigue Tests and Life Calculations.” Fatigue of Aircraft Structures New York Pergamon Press 1963
- Conover J. C. Jaeckel H. R. Kippola W. J. “Simulation of Field Loading in Fatigue Testing.” Paper 660102 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- Barrowcliff B. K. Ehlert R. E. “Full Scale Road Simulated Endurance Test.” Paper 680148 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Jaeckel H. R. Swanson S. R. “Random Load Spectrum Test to Determine Durability of Structural Components of Automotive Vehicles.” Twelfth International Automobile Technical Congress, FISITA Barcelona, Spain SAE Journal November 1969 42
- Swanson S. R. “Random Load Fatigue Testing: A State of the Art Survey.” ASTM Materials Research Standards 8 4 April 1968