This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Use of Underwater Work Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Subsea work systems are summarized. These systems range from tools used to salvage cannon from “Vasa” in 1628 to the capability of the “Glomar Challenger” to core-drill in 18,000 ft of water in 1969.
A variety of underwater work requirements are identified. Work systems, classified and described, include diving systems, submersibles, unmanned vehicles, and remotely controlled equipment.
A specific system is detailed which utilizes an underwater one-atmosphere manned work station, and a manned submersible equipped with a manipulation capability. Technical descriptions of subsystem characteristics and hardware photographs are provided.
CitationBodey, C. and Knight, R., "Development and Use of Underwater Work Systems," SAE Technical Paper 690698, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690698.
- Terry R. D. “The Case for the Deep Submersible.” North American Rockwell Corp.
- Franzen A “Ghost From the Depths: the Warship Vasa.” National Geographic January 1962 42 57
- “Thresher Tragedy Spurs Deep-Sea Research.” National Geographic June 1964 759 801
- Peterson M. N. A. Edgar N. T. “Deep Ocean Drilling With Glomar Challenger.” Oceans (Reprint)
- Bodey C. E. “The Undersea Machine.” Mechanical Engineering June 1965
- Smith H. D. “Useful Underwater Work With CURV.” J. of Ocean Technology October 1968 19 23
- Dodgen J. E. Green J. R. “SORD,” J. of Ocean Technology October 1968 31 36
- Rintoul R. W. “Deepsea Ventures Planning Ocean Mining Test Next Summer.” Offshore July 1969
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography Univ. of California at San Diego
- “Tractor With Diving Bell Takes to Sea Bottoms.” Offshore 64
- “Advanced Diving Systems IV.” Ocean Systems, Inc. New York, N. Y.
- “A Heavy-Duty Sea Bed Work Vehicle.” Ocean Industry March 1969
- Tomsky J. M. “SEALAB III - Special Report.” Undersea Technology August 1968
- Taylor D. M. “New Concepts in Offshore Production.” Ocean Industry January 1969