This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experiment Design and Data Acquisition for V/STOL Flying Qualities Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to outline an approach to the design of flying qualities experiments, to indicate the data that should be collected and to comment on several aspects of flying qualities simulation in variable stability aircraft.
In particular, attention is focused on the need for properly collected pilot rating and pilot comment data, the need for acquiring control usage information with suggestions for the form in which this information should be documented, and the importance of identifying, verifying, and documenting the dynamics characteristics simulated when using variable stability aircraft.
CitationChalk, C. and Key, D., "Experiment Design and Data Acquisition for V/STOL Flying Qualities Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 690695, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690695.
- Madden J. Kroll J. Jr Neil D. “A Study of VTOL/STOL Flying Qualities Requirements.” Bell Aircraft Corp. Report No. 203-917001 August 1960
- McCormick R. L. “VTOL Handling Qualities Criteria Study Through Moving-Base Simulation” AFFDL-TR-69-27 June 69
- Vinje E. W. Miller D. P. “Analytical and Flight Simulator Studies to Develop Design Criteria for VTOL Control Systems.” AFFDL-TR-68-165 April 1969
- Doetsch K. H. Jr Gould D. G. McGregor D. M. “A Flight Investigation of Lateral-Directional Handling Qualities for V/STOL Aircraft in Low Speed Maneuvering Flight.” NRC, NAE Report LTR-FR-12, July 1969 . (Also to be published as AFFDL-TR-69-41.)
- Saunders G. H. Chalk C. R. “Development of a Flying Qualities Specification for Military V/STOL Aircraft.” AHS paper 363 May 1969
- Cooper G. E. Harper R. P. “The Use of Pilot Rating in the Evaluation of Aircraft Handling Qualities.” NASA Tech. Note TN D-5153, April 1969
- Kroll J. Jr “Initial VTOL Flight Control Design Criteria Development-Discussion of Selected Handling Qualities Topics.” - First Yearly Report AFFDL-TR-67-151, October 1967
- Kostin L. C. Millstone S. D. “Application of Statistical Parameters in Defining Inlet Airflow Dynamics.” Journal of Aircraft 6 3 May-June 1969
- Chalk C. R. “Flight Evaluation of Various Short Period Dynamics at Four Drag Configurations for the Landing Approach Task.” CAL Report No. TB-1630-F-3, April 1964
- Craig S. J. Campbell A. Klein R. H. “Analysis of VTOL Handling Quality Requirements Part II.” To be published as AFFDL-TR-67-179, Part II”
- Asseo S. “Application of Optimal Control to Perfect Model Following.” Paper presented at Joint Automatic Control Conference, June 1968