This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Proposal for a Procedure for Evaluating Wet Skid Resistance of a Road-Tire-Vehicle System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
Propulsion, decelerating, and steering control of ground vehicles using pneumatic tires depends upon road-tire frictional forces developed within a few square inches of the road-tire contact area. Tire and vehicle designers should, therefore, have knowledge of tire distortions and force development in the contact area, and should understand tire hydrodynamics in order to develop tire-vehicle systems with optimum performance on wet, slippery roads.
This paper discusses the following testing techniques: road-tire-vehicle system to evaluate skid resistance, skid trailer versus complete vehicle tests, effects of radial stiffness on skid resistance, etc. Data obtained from these tests make it possible to evaluate road grip of tires as a function of the type of tire, tread design, and tread compound.
CitationBajer, J., "Proposal for a Procedure for Evaluating Wet Skid Resistance of a Road-Tire-Vehicle System," SAE Technical Paper 690526, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690526.
- Baumont Marc “From 4 Plies to a Single Ply in Steel-Cord Casing Tires.” Manufacture Francaise des Pneumatiques Michelin. SAE Paper 200A June 1960
- Hutchinson J. F. “Production Methods of 2-Ply Tires and Further Possibilities of Reduced Ply Tires.” SAE Paper 485C January 1962
- Vukan F. S. Ginn J. L. “Esthetic Qualities and Physical Characteristics of 2-Ply Tires.” SAE Paper 485B January 1962
- Berry V. H. “History and Cord Background of 2-Ply Tires.” SAE Paper 485A January 1962
- Gough V. E. French T. “Tires and Skidding from a European Viewpoint.” Paper presented to first International Skid Prevention Conference, Charlottesville, U.S.A. September 1958
- Purdy J. F. “Mathematics Underlying the Design of Pneumatic Tires.” Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.
- Berry J. G. “Low Profile Passenger Car Tires.” SAE Paper 123 June 1957
- Julien M. A. Rocard Y. “La Stabilite de Route des Locomotives.” H. Hermann” 1935
- Julien M. A. “Lenvirage et la Tenue de Route.” Journal S.I.A.X. Aug. 4 1937
- Roberts G. B. “Power Wastage in Tyres” (and references cited in the paper)” Procedure of International Rubber Conference, American Chemical Society November 1954
- Bajer Jacques “The Control of Tire Nonuniformity and a Passenger Car Manufacturer's Point of View.” (and references cited in the paper). SAE Paper 667B March 1963
- Hindin H. B. “The Unique Characteristics of the Radial Wire Tire.” SAE Paper 278A January 1961
- Burton Walter E. “The Story of Tire Beads and Tires.” McGraw Hill Publishing Co.
- Lippmann S. A. “New Equipment for Exploring the Dynamic Behavior of Tires.” SAE Paper January 1964
- “DuPont Tire Yarn Technical Review.” Papers presented in Akron Ohio May 1 1958 May 7 1959 Sept. 15 1960
- De Seze G. “Stabilitie de Route des Voitures a Traction Avant et Propulsion Arriere.” Journal S.I.A. October 1937
- De Seze G. “L'lnfluence du Pneumatic sur la Tenue de Route et la Direction.”
- Julien M. A. “Observations sur le Comportement du Pneumatiqueau Voisinage et au dela de sa Lirrilte D'Adherence.”
- Gilford C. L. S. Hardman J. H. “Tyre Balance.” Transaction Institute of Rubber Industry” 1945
- Chiesa A. Pirelli S. P. A. “Noise Inside Cars.” Milan, Italy”
- Chiesa A. Tangorra G. “Rigidite Dynamique des Pneus.” Milan, Italy
- All papers by V. E. Gough and Associates of the Dunlop Tire and Rubber Co. Birmingham, England
- Sieving A. W. “New Rating System for Earthmover Tires.” SAE Paper April 5 1962
- French T. “Advances in Wet Tyre Traction.” 1968
- Allbert B. J. Walker J. C. Maycock G. “Tyre to Wet Road Friction.” Proceedings 1965/1966 of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Allbert B. J. Walker J. C. “Tyre to Wet Road Friction at High Speed.” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Dec. 14 1965
- Maycock G. “Studies of the Skidding Resistance of Passenger Car Tires on Wet Surface.” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Lister R. D. Kemp R. N. “Skid Prevention Experiments with a Device to Prevent Wheels Locking During Braking.” Auto. Engr” 1958
- Horne W. B. Joyner V. T. “Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning and Some Effects on Vehicle Performance.” SAE Jan. 6 1965
- Horne W. B. “Air Jets, a Possible Solution to Hydroplaning.” Air Safety Seminar October 1964
- Horne W. B. Dreher R. C. “Phenomena of Pneumatic Tire Hydroplaning.” NASA Technical Note D2056 November 1963 Washington
- Gough V. E. Badger D. W. “Tyres and Road Safety.”
- All papers by Christian Bourcier De Carbon of De Carbon Shock Absorber Co. Paris, France
- Bajer Jacques “Low Aspect Ratio Tires from the Point of View of a Vehicle Manufacturer.” Paper 650154 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit 1965