This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Smoke - A Comparison of Test Methods and Smokemeters on Engine Test Bed and Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Mid-Year Meeting
This paper gives an interim assessment of the characteristics of five smokemeters generally available in Europe which are currently under investigation on a cooperative basis in seven countries. This coordinated test programme, begun in 1967 by a Smoke Measurement Sub-Committee of the Coordinating European Council (for development of performance tests for fuels and lubricants) has also investigated alternative test methods, ranging from the constant full load, steady speed test to the so called “free-acceleration” method, on 60 different types of vehicle, representative of those in current use in Western Europe. The results of these tests are summarized, and it is concluded that the basic test for prototype approval for smoke emission level is that carried out as a series of full-load speeds, either with the engine on the test bed or with the vehicle on a chassis dynamometer.
CitationPinolini, F. and Spiers, J., "Diesel Smoke - A Comparison of Test Methods and Smokemeters on Engine Test Bed and Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 690491, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690491.
- Dodd A. E. Holubecki Z. “The Measurement of Diesel Exhaust Smoke.” M.I.R.A. Report No. 1965/10 April 1965
- Stoll H. Bauer H. “Rauchmessung bei Dieselmotoren.” M.T.Z. 18 5 May 1957 127 131
- “Calibration of Smoke Measuring Instruments for Diesel Engines.” Warren Spring Laboratory Unpublished Report No. RR/AP/l/60 November
- Stumpp G. Eidtmann H. “Abgaspriifung bei Dieselmotoren,” Bosch Tech. Berichte 2 1 March 1967 37 44
- Dodd A. E. Spiers J. “Smoke Measurement - Instruments and Comparison of Methods.” Paper No. 14 presented at Inst. Mech. Eng. Symposium on Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control November 1968
- Vulliamy M. Spiers J. “Diesel Engine Exhaust Smoke-its Measurement, Regulation and Control.” Paper No. 670090 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit 1967
- Dodd A. E. Garratt G. “A Comparison of Constant Speed and Acceleration Tests for the Measurement of Smoke from Diesel-Engined Vehicles.” M.I.R.A. Confidential Report No. 1968/6 March 1968
- Dodd A. E. Garratt G. “The Measurement of Diesel Smoke - the U.T.A.C. Smokemeter.” M.I.R.A. Confidential Report No. 1968/8 May 1968
- Dodd A. E. Reed. L. E. “The Relationship between Subjective Assessment and Objective Measurement of Exhaust Smoke from Diesel-Engined Road Vehicles.” M.I.R.A. Report No. 1964/12 April 1964 See also “The Engineer,” October 1964
- BS.AU.141:1967 “Specification for the Performance of Diesel Engines for Road Vehicles.” British Standards Institution May 1967
- Pinolini. F. “Evaluation of Test Methods for Diesel Engine Exhaust Smoke Measurement.” C.E.C. Fuels Committee Confidential Report October 1968