This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Criteria for Turbomachinery Periodic Structures to Improve Tolerance to Inflow Distortion and Resonant Oscillatory Flows
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to discuss typical problems caused by pressure waves of large amplitude propagating in a circumferential direction in turbomachinery. Opportunities for design control of cascade resonance as a means of protecting turbomachinery from these pressure waves are presented. Some of the critical areas are compressor rear frame diffuser and main combustor instability, afterburner screech, shock wave flutter instability of high-pressure ratio, variable-geometry jet nozzles, compressor stall, compressor stage 1 blade fatigue failures, and labyrinth air seal fatigue failures caused by flexural vibration of the thin walls.
CitationAlford, J., "Design Criteria for Turbomachinery Periodic Structures to Improve Tolerance to Inflow Distortion and Resonant Oscillatory Flows," SAE Technical Paper 690388, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690388.
- AlfordJ. S., “Design Criteria and Configuration for Long-Life Aircraft Gas Turbines.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, Sect. 2, pp. 1399-1434, paper 670344.
- WhiteheadD. S., “The Vibration of Air in a Duct with a Subsonic Mean Flow.” Aeronautical Quarterly, February 1961.
- PearsonH. and McKenzieA. B., “Wakes in Axial Compressors.” Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society, July 1959, pp. 415-416.
- CotterH. N., “Integration of Inlet and Engine - An Engine Man's Point of View.” Paper 680286 presented at SAE Air Transportation Meeting, New York, April 1968.
- AlfordJ. S. and TaylorR. P., “Aerodynamic Stability Considerations of High-Pressure Ratio, Variable-Geometry Jet Nozzles.” Paper 64-247, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 2, No. 4, July-August.
- AlfordJ. S., “Protection of Labyrinth Seals from Flexural Vibration.” Transactions ASME Journal of Engineering for Power, April 1964.
- AlfordJ. S., “Protecting Turbomachinery from Unstable and Oscillatory Flows.” Transactions ASME Journal of Engineering for Power, 1967.
- TimoshenkoS. P., “Vibration Problems in Engineering.” Princeton, N.J.: D. VanNostrand and Co., Inc.
- TimoshenkoS. P. and GereJ. M., “Theory of Elastic Stability.” Second Edition, New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co.
- AlfordJ. S., “How Design Criteria and Design Reviews Have Used Past Experience to Avoid Repeating Mistakes,” Paper 680685 presented at SAE Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting, Los Angeles, October 1968.
- denHartogJ. P., “Mechanical Vibrations.” New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co.